Monday, April 23, 2018

We Have Foliage!

At last, my long awaited day off finally arrived.  First thing on the agenda was to get my CCP renewed.  So dressed I get and off to Batesville I go.  They do things differently now -- and for the better as far as I'm concerned.  Those getting gun permits sign in at their own window, and don't have to wait with all the driver's license people.   This made things go a whole lot faster than the first time around, and since mine was a renewal, I was able to get it the same day.  I still had to get fingerprinted, though, and go through another background check.

Never had to go through all that to get birth control.

Nevertheless, I was in and out by 8:30 with a shiny new CCP in my pocket.  Next stop, Lowe's.  As I whizzed through the doors and made a bee-line for the garden center, I thought briefly that I should check out the building supplies, but I didn't.  Straight to the plants I went.

I wandered around looking for moss roses, but didn't find any.  I also wandered around looking for pentas, but didn't find any of those, either.  What I did find were these verbinas, in red


and in purple.


I also picked up a 6 pack of zinnias,


and two of these four marigolds.


The final thing I picked up at Lowe's was this Fuchsia.


It's something that is new to me, but the tag said they're irresistible to butterflies and hummingbirds.  I thought I'd give it a try.

Once I'd checked out with my purchases, it was on to Wal-mart where I bought the other two marigolds pictured above, and finally found some moss roses.


Moss roses must be really popular this year.  The local Wal-mart had only a few left, and so did the Batesville Wal-mart.  I mean, like only three or four.  I see one light pink bloom.  I hope a couple of them are yellow, too.

After leaving Wal-mart, I headed home where I got the plants safely nestled into their beds.


The zinnias look kind of pathetic right now, but they'll soon take off.


I still need to get the mulch down, but I'll do that later.

I put the Fuchsia in a pot and put it in the back yard, since it's a part-sun plant. 


The good news is, my gardenia is putting out new leaves.  I was worried that the cold had killed it, but it appears to have survived.  Next challenge-- surviving a blistering Southern summer.

Back last fall, I cut my roses back pretty hard.  I was worried for a bit that I'd pruned them too much, but they are bushier than ever.


I did all this and was done by noon.  I spent the rest of the afternoon binge watching ER on Hulu and running out to look at my new plants.

Oh, and crying because I have to go back to work tomorrow, but I prefer not to talk about that.

Next up on the agenda:  getting all that furniture pulled out from the wall so I can get my cable boxes unhooked, and I'm going to get my cable cut off.  I'll probably add live TV to my Hulu subscription and I might subscribe to Sling-- to get my sports channels. 

Sigh, if only they'd let you cut off your service online instead of by phone, I'd have done it years ago. 








No comments: