Monday, April 09, 2018

Fool Me Twice

There I was at work Saturday, just a working away.  After a long, long work day, it was finally time to go home.  I got all the way out to my car when I realized I'd forgotten my cup.  "Eh, I'll get it Monday, " I thought to myself.  Then I thought better.  No, I'd better go back and get it, or Monday morning, I'll be tearing my hair out looking for it.  Because by then, I will have forgotten.  So I tromped all the way back across the parking lot and into the plant and got my cup, which was right where I'd left it.

There I was at work today, just a working away.  After a long, long work day, it was finally time to go home.  I got halfway across the parking lot when I thought, "My tool bag feels awfully light.  I'd better check and make sure all my tools are in it."  I started to swing said bag around to check for my tools, and that's when I realized my tool bag wasn't even on my shoulder.  "I'd better go back and get that," I thought to myself, "Or I won't have any tools left tomorrow!"  So, I tromped all the way back across the parking lot and into the plant and got my tool bag, which was right where I'd left it.

You know, they say forgetfulness is a sign of intelligence.  If that's true, I must be the smartest person on the planet.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Well, the powers that be have decided to scrap the whole brazer training program, and train new brazers on the job.  That's the way we used to do it in the Old Skool Way.  They'd pair a new brazer with an experienced one, and that's how we learned to braze.  I still remember when I learned.  The first thing I ever brazed was "line 3's next order and hurry up, they're waiting on it."

Friday, they brought me someone to train.  I thought she was doing OK, but her regular group leader said she's a trouble maker.  She can't wait to get that woman off her line.  I knew already that I didn't like her, even though there was nothing I could put my finger on.  I thought it was just me, because I can't get along with anyone except the ones who live in my computer.  Then, I saw what her group leader was talking about.  See, C shift gets a 10 minute break at 2:30.  A shift doesn't.  Well, someone had told the C shift people that were working on my line not to take their break.  Most of them just dealt with it, but this chick got so irate about getting "screwed out of her break" she went upstairs.

Now, for those of you who don't work there, "upstairs" is where all the production managers' offices are.  To go upstairs means you are going to complain to the boss about something.  To take someone upstairs means you are being dragged into the boss's office.  To go upstairs on someone means you're going to tattle to the boss on them.

Anyway, this chick went upstairs.  When she got back over to the line, she was still pitching such a fit I told her to go on and take a break.  I'd cover for her until she got back.  Even after that, she was still carrying on so much that her group leader, who was standing right there, said, "What are you still fussing for?  She said she'd cover for you!  Go take your &%^#* break!"  Even after she got back, she was still complaining about it.  I was good.  I kept my mouth shut, but I was thinking, "Gee, I've been working 12 hour shifts for years, and I've never gotten a break -- until C shift started getting them. 

I was hoping they wouldn't send her back to me Saturday, and they didn't.  They had her working on her regular line.  The one they sent me Saturday was one of those who just didn't want to listen to anything.  She acted like she already knew anything, so I just stepped back and let her have at it.

Then I had to step in and fix all the stuff she burned up.  But that's how it goes sometimes.

Enough about work...I keep saying I don't want to become that cranky old lady who complains about everything, but I'm finding that's exactly who I am these days.  I'll leave you with this.

I've always suspected I had some Scottish ancestry in my.  Now that my suspicions have been confirmed, this song means more to me than it ever did.



BTW, I looked up one of my clans:  Clan MacLeod.  Their clan motto is Hold Fast.  Pretty fitting for a sailor, don't you think?


No comments: