Sunday, April 29, 2018

I Did It

I've been talking about it for at least a year, but today, I finally did it.

I dragged all that heavy furniture out from the wall and unhooked my cable boxes.  Tomorrow after work, I'm going to take them back to the cable company and have them cut off my TV service.

I debated for a long time about whether to go with Sling or Hulu as an alternative.  I pulled up both websites and compared channel listings, and went back and forth for a long time.  What finally tipped the scales for Hulu was they have more local affiliates, more sports channels -- including CBS Sports Network, which Sling does not have (for my market) and which shows all the Navy games, and I already have an account with them.

Cost was not a consideration, since the Sling package with the same number of channels as the Hulu upgrade was the same price.  Both of them are cheaper than cable anyway.  If I don't like it, I have a week to change my mind, however, after scrolling through the channels and seeing what I have, I don't think that'll happen.

The only drawback is I've been using my cable remote to control my TV for so long, I don't know where my TV remote is.  Or if I even still have it.  I guess after I turn in my boxes tomorrow, I'll have to run to Walmart and pick up a universal remote.

Or I could just trudge all the way across my living room to turn my TV on and off by hand.

You remember I mentioned yesterday I had a long list of things I wanted to do this weekend?  I'm happy to say, I got every thing on that list accomplished.  Most of it was mundane stuff like mowing, laundry, and cleaning my bathroom.  Unhooking the cable boxes was also on the list.  The final thing on that list, which I accomplished just a few moments ago was to get this shelf put together.


I'd ordered it way back in January, and it's been sitting in the box ever since it got here.  It will eventually be moved out into my shop.  Once all those snakes start going to that great herpetarium in the sky,  I'll get rid of all those tanks and stands, then get some nicer looking cabinets to put into that room to store my craft stuff in.

That room was clean once, but the last few months, it's kind of exploded into a junky mess.  Now, I can start putting some of the stuff on that shelf, and at least get the floor clean -- well, cleaner.   I still need to move all my painting supplies back out into the shop, and that'll help a whole lot. 

When I first moved into this house, I needed some curtains or something to hang in my bedroom window.  I ran out and got a simple black set, just to have something covering the window, so I could sleep in that room.  After I bought the final set of curtains for my room, I moved them to Cody's room.

A few months ago, when I found the curtains I wanted for Cody's room, the plan was to hang the black ones in the snake/craft/computer room.  Alas, they've been wadded up laying in the floor ever since.  While I was in there picking stuff up, I said to myself, "Might as well get those curtains hung."  And that's exactly what I did.



Almost immediately, I felt the temperature drop in that room. Plus, it just looks so much neater.  While I was up on the ladder, that's when I realized this room doesn't have any crown molding in it either.  But, since this isn't a room that anyone is going to spend a whole lot of time in, I'm not going to worry about it any time soon. 

And yes, that is a pair of hand knit socks drying on the snake tank. 

What can I say?  That's just who I am.






No comments: