Wednesday, December 14, 2016

I Survived

I survived the long, long day of meetings at work.

I call them meetings, but most of them were safety classes -- the same training we had last year, and the year before...complete with the same videos and everything.  We even had the same very expensive out of town motivational speaker that we had last year. 

It was kind of weird having these meetings in the middle of the week.  I'm guessing that has a lot to do with when they could schedule that very expensive out of town motivational speaker.  Still, it feels like a Friday.  As I was walking out the door, one of the HR people told me to have a good weekend.  Then she realized what she'd said, and said, "Oh, no!  It's not even the weekend!"  I hope I remember to get up and go back to work tomorrow. 

Speaking of tomorrow, it's my last day of work for the year!  Woo Hoo!  I had a brief moment of panic when I was looking at the computer printout of my approved vacation days, and saw that next Wednesday, December 21, was not on there.  I was freaking out, thinking I'd missed putting in for that day.  Seriously, I was going to have to go back to work on the last day the plant was working.  It couldn't be!  I was sure I'd put in for that day, and it was handwritten on my work calendar on my refrigerator.

I went and dug out my vacation request forms, and sure enough, December 21 was on there.  Apparently, the HR people had overlooked that day when entering them into their computer.  After my long, long day of safety training and meetings, I took my handwritten form to the HR office and showed them.  They added that day to the computer, so I'm all good to go.  Tomorrow is my last day of work for the year.  And I'm breathing a sigh of relief. 

Ever since those men came and got that old recliner, I've been sitting here looking at these shelves. 


I'm thinking that they need more Christmas decorations, since they are no longer hidden behind that huge chair.  I don't have anything that would work there, though.  I'll have to look when I go to the store next time. 

Yesterday, my mother sent me a check for Christmas.  "Cool,"  I though.  I'll just go get the check she'd sent me last month for my birthday and cash them both next time I go to town.  Only, I couldn't find the check she'd sent me for my birthday last month.  I thought I'd put it on my computer desk.  I absolutely tore up the computer room looking for it.  I finally found it, or so I thought.  "There it is!" I exclaimed as I pulled said check out from behind the printer -- only to discover that it was my check from last year, which I had never cashed.  Sigh, I give up.  I just give up.

For what it's worth, I did finally find this year's birthday check.  It was under a box of old 8mm video cassettes.  How it got there is quite beyond me.  Nevertheless, it has been found and I will cash them tomorrow or Friday.

If I don't lose them again before then. 


No comments: