Monday, December 05, 2016

Another Unexpected Day

There I was at work, just a working away, when one of my coworkers said to me, "Did you know the [Vitally Important Machine] was down?"  No, I didn't.  I hadn't really been paying that much attention to it. 

"It is," my coworker said, "It hasn't made a single [Vitally Important Part] all day."  I looked, and sure enough, there were no [Vitally Important Parts] on the [Vitally Important Part] line.  "Huh,"  I said, and went back to work, sure that they would get the [Vitally Important Machine] fixed soon.

About 9:15, I heard a commotion down the line, and people started shouting "We're going home!" and stampeding towards the door, trampling fellow coworkers in their haste to get out of the plant before the bosses changed their minds.  Sure enough, here came Group Leader Theresa who said, "Clock out and go home."  After tidying up my area a bit, that's exactly what I did.

And what did I do with my unexpected day off?  My first thought was to run to the store and get That Thing I Desperately Needed, even though I couldn't remember what exactly it was that I desperately needed...I figured I'd remember when I got there and wandered up and down the aisles, buying things I didn't need at all.  Or I wouldn't, and would forget to get it again, only to remember as soon as I got home.  Alas, when I walked out of the plant, it was cold and raining.  Still. Raining.

I decided then and there that I didn't really need That Thing I Desperately Needed after all, and came on home.

Wonder of wonders, after three straight days of steady rain, I managed to scrape up enough dry wood to start a little fire in my stove and take the chill off the house.  The plan was to knit and watch Christmas movies all day.  However, as I was sitting there trying to decide what to watch, I heard a thump, and a bang, and the grumble of a large truck pulling away from my house.

I looked out the door and the book shelf I'd ordered for my bedroom had arrived!  I wrestled the box that was bigger than myself into the house and began putting it together. 


This was a really nice surprise.  All the hardware and stuff was in this thing, and each part was in its own separate bubble.  Not only that, they were all labeled as to what they were!


Yay!  No more guessing if this was the right screw, or that was the right bolt.  Everything was clearly labeled.  Not only that, the instructions were well written, and by someone with a sense of humor. 
  

I was in the bedroom, putting the shelf together, and thought I just might need to take a break.  Just then, I read the next instruction.


So, I kept on working.  By then, though, my stomach was really growling.  "It must be near lunch time," I thought.  I went into the kitchen and looked at the clock and it was after 1:00.  "Why can't time go this fast when I'm at work?" I said to no one in general.

After getting a quick bite to eat, I finished my bookshelf and began moving books onto it. 


I think it blends with my bedroom really well.  I started to say it blends with my bedroom decor, but as I have no decor yet, I can't really say that.  That's the next step, though.  Decorating, crown moulding, baseboards, and closet doors.

It'll all have to wait until after Christmas, though, when the overtime starts back up again. 







No comments: