Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Chats On The Farmhouse Porch

Everyday Ruralty


QUESTIONS
  1. From Suzanne at p.s. Annie!: Are you part of the back to nature/ecological group or are you more of the mindset of "I'll do what I want and everything will work out in the end"?

    I'm sort of in the middle. I do believe that God has called us to be good stewards of this earth he has made, but in no way do I think snails, bugs, or weeds are more important than people are. I do common sense stuff, like not littering. I take my Wal-mart bags back to the store and keep lights off when I'm not using them. However, I'm totally not into this green nonsense, since much of it does more harm than good. Electric cars, for example. It takes MORE fossil fuels creating MORE carbon emissions to generate the electricity to charge one of the dumb things than it would if you just drove a gasoline powered car. And compact fluorescent light bulbs-- anything that requires a hazmat team for proper disposal is NOT good for the environment.
  2. From Stacey at Happy Bride to be: What's a favorite dinner dish to make?

    I don't really have a favorite dish to make, since I'm not much of a cook. Well, I can cook, but since it's just me, I tend to eat simple stuff-- sandwiches, frozen dinners, and the like.

  3. From Melanie at Melanie at A Year of Jubilee Reviews: What animals have you seen give live birth?

    I saw one of my uncle's goats give birth once, but that's the only one. I kept trying to catch the cats giving birth, but they always seemed to do it in the middle of the night.
  4. From Anne at Homeschool on the Croft: If you had the opportunity to teach something, what would you teach?

    Nothing. I don't like to teach at all. People always told me I should have been a teacher, but no. If I had, I'd likely be in prison by now for killing someone's kid.
  5. From Madonna at Butterfly Acres: What did you love most about school?

    My 5th grade teacher would read to us every day after lunch. She'd turn out the lights, let us put our heads down on our desks, and she'd read for about 30 minutes. After all these years, that's the one thing that stands out to me. I guess because I learned to read so young (I was reading at a first grade level by the time I was 4), my mother never felt the need to read to me. So, having that teacher read to us like that is something I'll always treasure.


5 comments:

Elizabeth Edwards said...

funny - your thoughts on teaching - i have always heard that when you dislike something - not always but sometimes it is your true calling - because you are not listening to your real desires. or pull? does that make sense. i always continue to look for my calling. hoping i will find it one day soon. i pray. ( :

Clairity said...

Interesting, your thoughts on going green. I agree with you. I don't get the much ado about Earth Day and stuff when it's just turning out the lights/whatever for an hour when there's so much wastage at all other times.

Suzanne McClendon said...

I agree with you in that I don't think things like rat habitats take precedence over people habitats. Ecology that far irritates me to no end. But, reducing the use of plastics and unsafe chemicals, things like that, I am all for. I don't like waste, although I know that I am guilty of it on occasion.

I couldn't help but laugh at your response to teaching. :)

I think that it is sweet that your 5th grade teacher read to you. My 5th grade teacher kept me after school for trying to scoot my glasses up my further on my nose. She thought that I was making faces at her. I sure felt like doing just that after she got onto me!

I enjoyed reading your post. Have a great week!

Patrice said...

I was never interested in teaching other people's kids. I have taught cooking to adults and loved it. The story of your teacher reading is sweet. That is a good memory. She must have made a good impression on many of the kids. Have a good week.

Leslie said...

I agree with your answer teaching children, I have a real problem with the attitudes of most of today's kids.