Thursday, March 07, 2013

Rand

As I stood at my work station this morning, I looked around at my co-workers and I wondered if any of them knew.

I wondered if any of them knew what Rand Paul did for them yesterday.  I wondered if any of them even knew who Rand Paul is.

Rand Paul is a senator from Kentucky who stood up to tyranny.  Who stood up for the American people, and for the Constitution.  He stood up for all Americans, even for those who hate him and call him racist. He stood up to protect their Constitutional rights, too.  He stood up for the rights of all Americans.  Everywhere.  Regardless of party, or political affiliation.  He stood for them.

He stood for you. 

All he wanted was a simple yes or no answer.  It shouldn't have been that hard.

All he wanted was a yes or now answer to one simple question.

"Mr. President, can you kill an American on American soil?"



Any president -- any president without aspirations of tyranny-- should have immediately and firmly and for the record pronounced a resounding NO.

But Rand Paul didn't get an answer.  So Senator Paul decided ask it again.  And again, and again, until he got an answer. 

Rand Paul decided to filibuster.

Not the kind of filibuster like they do today where a senator says, "I'm filibustering, so let's move on to the next item on the agenda."  Nope, Paul held a good, old-fashioned, REAL filibuster like they used to do back in the day when honor and integrity still meant something.

“I will not sit quietly and let him shred the Constitution …"  he said.  So he started talking. 

Rand Paul stood on the Senate floor and talked.  Except for a few brief spells by Marco Rubio and Ted Cruz, Rand Paul talked.  And he talked, and he talked.


And people began to listen.


Facebook and Twitter blew up with his words.  With his inspiration.  With his ideas.


With ideas that were once the norm, but are now seldom heard any more. With the ideas and ideals of our founding fathers.  With ideas that once made this the greatest nation on the Earth.  It was of these ideas Rand Paul spoke. 

"I will speak until I can no longer speak," he said. 


He spoke of freedom.  He spoke of the Constitution.  He spoke of the values that made America great.  For 13 hours he inspired a nation.  He brought people together.  He energized a downtrodden populace who had long ago run out of hope.  Yesterday, America got a little of that hope back. 

Finally, after an amazing display of strength, stamina, and courage, after 13 amazing hours, Rand Paul yielded the floor.  

It was all well and good, some said, but it didn't accomplish anything. 

Or did it?


This morning, Senator Paul, and America, finally got an answer to the question he'd spent so long asking. 



So, this evening, I say, thank you. 

Thank you for facing the giant.  Thank you for standing up for us ordinary folks.  Thank you for representing the average American.  Thank you for making a difference, however slight.  Thank you for giving us hope again. 

Thank you, Senator Paul.

Now, if you will excuse me, I have urge to go watch Mr. Smith Goes To Washington again. 


P.S.   I told you we'd be back. 

1 comment:

StephieKnits said...

Thanks! I don't watch the news as I get too mad to even calm down. This so made my day. Again, thank you for sharing!