Saturday, June 16, 2012

Sigh...

The bad news is, I was out working in my flower bed yesterday evening, when James walked up behind me and said, "That's poke salad."


And so is that.


and that...


and that.


And that, and that, and that ...

Well, you get the idea. About 2/3 of the plants I'd weeded and worked, and fed and watered were nothing more than poke salad.

 Poke salad!

Turns out I'd been lovingly and carefully tending a bed of weeds. All I could do was to curl up and whimper. Then rip them all out.

 Sigh...

The bed looks so empty now.  I guess tomorrow after church, I'll go in to Wal-Mart and see what they have left that I can use to fill in the gaps.

The good news is, I still have some real flowers left.  I don't know what this is, but it's got a pretty pink bud on it.
  

And if it's got pretty pink flowers, it gets to stay.

I've got another zinnia getting ready to bloom.


And the store bought zinnias are doing well.


I'm not sure what this one is, but it looks like something I ought to keep.  (That's another poke salad behind it.)


And the first zinnia has a second bud on it. 


So, put your mind at ease, Cyndye.  The zinnias are just fine.  And the petunias, too.


The mixed blessing news is, the honeybees have found the flowers.  This is good news for the bees, and good news for the flowers, but not so good news for the deathly allergic person who likes to work in her bare feet.  

Guess it's time to dig out the ol' Tevas.

No comments: