Saturday, August 14, 2010

New Books

It was around 9:15 or so this morning when I looked at the weather icon on the computer screen.  It said it was 80' outside, so I decided to go walk Rylea before it got too hot.  I hadn't gotten very far when I came to the conclusion that the weather icon lied.  It sure felt a whole lot hotter than 80' out there.  Being that it was so hot, we walked all the way down to the creek so Rylea could cool off a bit and get a drink before heading home.


We didn't pick up any strays this time, either. But, I did see quite a few cotton blossoms left, both pink and white. 




There were a lot of bolls forming, though.  For those of you who don't live in cotton country, I'm going to try to go get photos of the bolls opening and such.  It won't be long now, because they usually defoliate and pick the fields around the middle of September.

When I got home, though, I found a box of books from Knitpicks waiting for me. 


I'd been wanting to find just the right pattern for my new sock yarns that I picked up last week, and a couple of people suggested the Knitting On the Road book by Nancy Bush. I looked it up online, and was able to preview some of the patterns that are in it, so I decided to go ahead and get it.  I think Conwy would be the perfect pattern for my Winter Spruce yarn (which I have since found out that the real color name is Honey Sage.  I think I like my name better.). 


 What I like about this book is the spiral binding, so that it really lays flat.  There are some other great patterns in the book.  I really like Friday Harbor and New England.  About half of the patterns are color work, though.  I'm not really fond of doing color work, but still, if I'd bought these three patterns individually, it would have cost more than buying the entire book.  So, in my book, that makes this book worth it.  And who knows, I might just try some of that color work after all. 

Well, once I'd gotten to the site, I found that Knitpicks was having a 40% off book sale.  I'd been wanting Wendy Johnson's Socks From The Toe Up for a while now, so I threw it into my cart as well.  I've been reading her blog for years, and it was really cool to see there in the book some of the socks that I'd watched her design and knit. 


I think this one is my favorite, and I remember when she blogged about designing it.  I know exactly which yarn I will use to knit them.  The other sock yarn I bought last week.  The Cherry Tree Hill Indian Summer yarn.  So now, I've got to hurry and finish the Tidal Wave socks I have OTN right now.  Oh, I forgot to show you that I finished the first sock a few days ago. 


Kindly ignore the blinding white bit of leg showing at the cuff of the gorgeous sock.  It was a gift from my Swedish ancestors.  Thank you for not guffawing aloud.  Well, not too loudly at least.

Yeah, I finished that one I think it was Sunday, and cast on the second sock that same day.  No SSS with this pair, that's for sure!  As of this afternoon, I was this far along:



I tell ya, the new books did the trick.  Sock mojo is back and better than ever!  Just one thing, the Gingerbread House sock about halfway down in this post, I'm thinking of frogging it.  The yarn just has such a loose twist, I'm not feeling the sock love for it.  The yarn is whispering "scarf" to me.  And if I have enough, I might make a hat to go with it. 

The third book I bought was Knitted Lace of Estonia, also by Nancy Bush.  I haven't really looked through it yet, but from what I've seen, there are some gorgeous patterns in it.  It'll be something to use some of my huge stash of lace weight.  Speaking of lace...

The other thing I'd bought was three new sets of Options cables, in 40", 47", and 60" lengths. 


Though the lace mojo is still on vacation, I did manage to drag the Anniversary 10 mystery shawl out long enough to transfer it from the 32" that it was on to a 47".  About halfway through the process, I spread it out and took a picture, without it being all bunched up.


I know, I know, but I just keep singing, "Some day my mojo will come!"

Sheesh...

Let's temper that with a Saturday Sky.


No, this is not a Glidden paint chip.  It really is the sky this morning.  Taken on my walk. 

That is all. 

2 comments:

Kristen said...

Now you make me want to go out and buy those books! The socks you've made are gorgeous, and Rylea is most handsome!!!

Becky G said...

Go for it Kristen. Knitpicks book sale still has a few more days.

Rylea thanks you.