Saturday, June 03, 2006

Yes, ANOTHER Hobby


Spinning yarn. I learned to spin on a drop spindle a few years ago. There is nothing like giving a gift that you knitted from yarn you spun and dyed yourself. This yarn will probably end up being knit into a lacy shawl. I've got several other colors, some already spun, some waiting to be spun. It is my dream to one day have a traditional spinning wheel. But for now, the home made drop spindles will have to do.

The good news is this guy:

finally ate! It was his first meal since March 24. I've heard that a healthy snake can go up to a year without eating and not suffer any detrimental effects. Most can certainly go a few months without eating and not have any problems. However, when you have one that's been off his feed, it is such a relief when they start eating again.

2 comments:

Perpetual Beginner said...

You spin too? We have got to get together sometime, lady! I'm just about halfway through my first sweater done with homespun, though wheel spun, not spindled. I have another, barely started, that's being spun up on a heavy low-whorl.

I have an Ashford Traveller, and would recommend it. It's a nice little wheel - not dreadfully expensive (about $125-150). I asked for contributions to my wheel fund for Christmas, and accumulated enough pretty quickly.

I will get down there some day; I will; I will!

Becky G said...

Yes, we do have to get together!

Right now, it's not so much the money as the space that is keeping me from getting a wheel. Since every spare inch in my house is stuffed with either snake cages or drawing and knitting supplies, I have no idea where I'd put even a small wheel!