Thursday, June 15, 2006

Blogthings...

Buck over in Portales clued me in to this little quiz:


Your Five Variable Love Profile

Propensity for Monogamy:

Your propensity for monogamy is medium.
In general, you prefer to have only one love interest.
But it's hard for you to stay devoted for too long!
There's too much eye candy to keep you from wandering.

Experience Level:

Your experience level is high.
You've loved, lost, and loved again.
You have had a wide range of love experiences.
And when the real thing comes along, you know it!

Dominance:

Your dominance is low.
This doesn't mean you're a doormat, just balanced.
You know a relationship is not about getting your way.
And you love to give your sweetie a lot of freedom.

Cynicism:

Your cynicism is medium.
You'd like to believe in true and everlasting love...
But you've definitely been burned enough to know better.
You're still an optimist, but you also are a realist.

Independence:

Your independence is high.
You don't need to be in love, and sometimes you don't even want love.
Having your own life is very important for you...
Even more important than having a relationship.

Most of the time, these things peg me pretty will, but this one is way off the mark. I think the problem may have been that it was a multiple choice quiz, and too many of the answers didn't have the option I would have chosen. Neither did they have a None of The Above option.
I'd say my propensity for monogamy is pretty high, since I believe in one man and one woman for life. Didn't work out that way in my own life, but that's what I get for marrying just because I was pregnant.
I wouldn't say I have a whole lot of experience either. I've only had two relationships in my life that lasted longer than 4-6 weeks. The LONGEST one was only 16 months. Well, maybe that is the kind of experience they are talking about, but I think experience at making relationships work counts for more.
My dominance and cynicism ratings are not entirely accurate either, but they got the independence one right on the mark.
While we are on the subject of love, why does everyone assume a single woman is pathetic, desperate for a man, and does nothing but sit at home crying over her situation? I certainly don't do that. My co-worker Susan seems determined to get me married off. Just last week, she was trying to fix me up with a guy from the front office. I told her he was married and too young for me besides, but she wouldn't listen. Then a couple of days ago, she came over and said, "I've got bad news for you. He's married." She was more disappointed than I was. The guy is a cutie-pie, but just not what I would look for in a man.
Anyway, she was telling me I should go hang out in some bar--I forget the name of it--and maybe I could meet someone there. "Even if you don't meet anyone, it still beats sitting at home crying."
HUH?
So why does she assume I am sitting at home crying? Maybe that's what she would do, but I don't need a man in my life to feel complete.
Heck, my life is so complete, I don't know where I'd fit a man into it if I did meet one.
Sheesh...

3 comments:

Buck said...

While we are on the subject of love, why does everyone assume a single woman is pathetic, desperate for a man, and does nothing but sit at home crying over her situation?

Two thoughts... (1) Most folks are conditioned to see adults paired, singles are viewed as either abnormal or in need of "help" (God Save Us!). (2) Women are MUCH worse than men in this regard, especially where other women are concerned.

Case in point: my buddy Lee, who knows me from my wild, wild youth (big ol' grin), just asked a simple question on this subject: "are you seeing anyone?" "No, and I don't care to." "OK." Case closed. I won't go into the crap my two sons used to give me on this subject because they quit doing it a couple of years ago.

Becky G said...

You are so right when you say that women are worse than men. I don't have any MEN trying to marry me off!

Becky G said...

Could it be that a happily married woman just wants others to share her joy?