Thursday, June 08, 2006

Snakey News


So it may look like Onyx is trying to eat his tree, but he's not. He was trying to get his shed started, which he eventually did.

Speaking of sheds, Slider shed last night. I completely missed his blue stage, but then he's pretty reclusive anyway. That may be why he refused his mouse last week. I'll try to feed him again this weekend.

Speaking of feeding, Scarlett left me a big, smelly poop in her tank this morning. She completely digested the pinky head I gave her. I'm going to feed her another one Saturday. If she holds it down, I'll slowly work her back up to whole pinkies. I'm going to take things really slow with her, because I don't want to get her started regurging again.

Interesting developments at the dojo...Sensei talked with James and me tonight and said that when school starts back up, he's going to quit his regular job and have the dojo open 5 days a week. He wants to have an after school program for the kids. They'll have a snack, homework time complete with tutors, and a 45 or so minute karate program. Then he asked us if we would be interested in a position as paid instructors for the karate part of it. It would be minimum wage, and he hasn't worked out the details. I told him I would consider it.

One thing I don't understand, though. He said he doesn't even make enough from the dojo to cover the rent and utilities. Now he's going to expect it to support itself and his family, and maybe rent the building next to the dojo...I hope he knows what he's doing.

3 comments:

Perpetual Beginner said...

I can't speak from personal experience, but that kind of program can be profitable enough to be self-supporting. There's a place here (not us, unfortunately), that runs exactly such program, complete with logoed van that makes the rounds of the schools and picks the kids up. They seem to do a booming business.

Yeah for Scarlett pooping! Good luck working her back up.

Becky G said...

You are absolutely right that these programs can and do work. I don't doubt that.

What I wonder is if my sensei will be able to make his program work. He had a part-time after school program before, but had to shut it down when parents began pulling their children out. Seems he had a couple of family emergencies and had to cancel some days. So there were these five and 6 year old kids getting off the school bus at the dojo--parents still at work expecting them to be taken care of--and nobody was there. Nothing but a note on the locked door that none of them could even read.

If he is going to do this, he cannot do things like that. He HAS to have somebody there each and every day. He can't depend on me, because I don't get off work in time. I'll only be there for the karate classes.

Don't forget, we're also talking about the sensei who had the electricity cut off for not paying the bill, the water cut off for 6 weeks for the same reason, and the locks changed on the dojo door for not paying the rent for two months.

Sure these programs can work, but they have to have somebody who can MAKE it work.

However, giving him the benefit of the doubt, with this program, he'll actually get more sleep and may pay better attention to those kinds of things.

Perpetual Beginner said...

OK, I can see reason for heavy doubts. It sounds like the first order of business for him would be to find another adult who could be there daily, so no one person's emergency would leave kids in the lurch. Someone with good organizational skills would be a big plus.