Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Why Is It

that when I tell guys that I'm delicate and feminine they always laugh? Well, not all of them laugh. Just the ones who've been cold-cocked a time or two...

There may be more changes coming to the shodan grading, but not of a bad sort. Mr Christensen also has a student who will be testing. Since he will be moving soon, and this will be the last student testing out of his current dojo, he wants to host the test there. That is ok with me because #1 it's closer than Greenville, and #2 it is air conditioned. For a test in the middle of July, that is a definite PLUS. But it is up to the board--specifically Mr Dreher--to decide.

I'm reading a book now entitled A Bride Most Begrudging by Deeanne Gist. Just gotta make a few comments on it. It is a pretty good book for a first novel, but there are several things about it that I find very distracting.

First of all, the story is set in 1643. Now, if an author is going to write dialogue in period dialect, she should write ALL the dialogue in period dialect. Switching back and forth between contemporary American English and an occasional attempt at colonial dialect is very disconcerting to this reader. Which brings me to my second point concerning this. If an author is going to write in period dialect, she needs to write in that dialect. That means researching how they really talked in those days. Throwing in a bit of "Yoda speech" ( ex. "I like this not." & "What mean you?") every few pages doesn't cut it with me.

Another thing, if you are going to write historical fiction, at least get the history right. Not just the major battles/events, but everyday life as well. Research the period. Find out what the social mores and customs were. Be accurate. Sure, most people who read this kind of stuff are not history buffs and probably won't know the difference--especially since history is no longer accurately taught these days. But on the off chance there is someone who does know her history (and I use the feminine pronoun because this is not a book that would appeal to a man), get it right. A perfect example-- in this book, they are talking about going to Christmas services and such. In the Colonies, Christmas was just another day. Unless it was Sunday, it was work as usual. In some places, celebrating Christmas in any way, shape, form, or fashion was illegal. Another thing, I have a hard time believing that a town mayor can force a man to marry an indentured servant just because she is single. But then, if he hadn't it would have been a very short book, now wouldn't it?

However, the story line is pretty good, and it is light, easy reading. If you can get past the few flaws present in the historical context, it is a pretty good book.

Our blues fest is half way over. Blaze shed yesterday and Sunny the day before. Now I've got two to feed, so I'm off to thaw mice. Mouse




2 comments:

Buck said...

Wooo-eee, Girl, you can be harsh! I'm glad I've never asked you to critique my writing! {big ol' grin}

Becky G said...

Big grin! I can't imagine you being that inaccurate, though. I've finished the book now, and it didn't get any better. I don't think I'll read any more of that author's work.