Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Here It Is


The finished drawing.

What I find frustrating about drawing in graphite is that I can't seem to get my dark parts as dark as I'd like them. This is due to the nature of graphite, in that it gets shiny. The more graphite that is layered onto the paper, the shinier it gets. Then when I try to scan a graphite drawing, the shiny parts reflect the light, making the whole drawing appear much lighter than it is in person.

I had another nightmare about my shodan test. This time I was trying to do Tokumine bo kata. When I bowed in and started the kata, I missed the bo with my left hand. As I fumbled around trying to get ahold of it, I realized that the bo I was using was broken. I did the entire kata with one half of a broken bo!

Sigh...I'll be glad when it's over and done with.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, Becky! Great sketch!

I've wanted to tell you how much I'm enjoying your photographs, too. Both my dad and my husband are professional photographers and so I know a good one when I see it. You have a really good sense of composition. That's something that either comes naturally to a person or it doesn't and you have it!
I haven't tried spinning yarn, but I did enjoy weaving many years ago when I lived in Wyoming. It was a nice way to spend a long winter's evening.
Look forward to your next sketch and/or photo!

Becky G said...

Thanks Bec.

I almost majored in photography, but my dad discouraged me from doing that. He said the only way to make a living at it would be to take studio portraits, and I didn't want to do that...I amost majored in art, too. I wish I'd stuck with that one.

Anonymous said...

Becky,
I understand where you dad was coming from. It's really competitive and the processing is expensive. And it's stressful, too, if you end up having to do weddings and such. But you never know when a gift like yours will come in handy or point you in some other interesting direction.

Your snakes are gorgeous. We like all kinds of critters at our house. One problem, though, is that my youngest adores rats. To him, his pet rats were as loyal and intelligent as dogs. So he feels a little sad when he sees big snakes, knowing what they are fed, ya know.

Anonymous said...

Awesome drawing becky! Sorry to read that you are having nightmares about your shodan test. I've had a share of dojo nightmares myself. You'll do fine. Be happy, excited, and calm... as best you can be!

always,
sunshine (IRW)