Saturday, December 09, 2023

There Has Been Knitting

I finally finished the Fetching fingerless gloves, and boy was it a ride. 


Oh, they weren't that hard, just a bit fiddly.  They are my go-to pattern for fingerless gloves, and honestly, I don't know why because I don't really like knitting them.  But they look nice when they're done.   These still need to be washed and blocked, so don't judge by this photo. 

In other news, I'm finally starting to get Christmas cards.


The one on the left is from my friend Amy, and the one on the right is from my brother Scott.  Funny thing, he sent the same Christmas cards that I sent out.  Well, at least some of them.  I sent out a variety, but those were some of them.  One downer, though, the envelope wasn't sealed.  I'd gotten word that at least one of the ones I sent out arrived unsealed, even though I was sure I had sealed them all.  I guess next year I'll have to use extra glue or stickers on the ones I have left. 

Not much else has gone on today, unless you count the Army-Navy game which I do not want to talk about.  Maybe if Navy had started playing sometime before the last five minutes of the game, they'd have won.   

In the midst of all that, we had a line of strong storms pass through which resulted in eleventy billion weather alerts going off on my phone, but they've moved on now.  Both the storms and the alerts...It's supposed to start cooling off again overnight, so I brought up another load of firewood to the house. 

Aaand now I'm getting eleventy billion alerts that all the watches and warnings have been cancelled, while I'm watching cheesy Hallmark movies.  Speaking of movies, I watched Candy Cane  Lane on Prime.   It was a lot better than I expected it to be.  

Oh, and I keep forgetting to tell you I finished O Little Town, by Don Reid.  I'm glad I chose to read it again.  It was as good as I'd remembered.  Next up, I'm reading Once Upon A Wardrobe, by Patti Callahan.   The blurb on Amazon reads:

1950: Margaret Devonshire (Megs) is a seventeen-year-old student of mathematics and physics at Oxford University. When her beloved eight-year-old brother asks Megs if Narnia is real, logical Megs tells him it’s just a book for children, and certainly not true. Homebound due to his illness, and remaining fixated on his favorite books, George presses her to ask the author of the recently released novel The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe a question: “Where did Narnia come from?”

Despite her fear about approaching the famous author, who is a professor at her school, Megs soon finds herself taking tea with C. S. Lewis and his own brother Warnie, begging them for answers.

Rather than directly telling her where Narnia came from, Lewis encourages Megs to form her own conclusion as he shares the little-known stories from his own life that led to his inspiration. As she takes these stories home to George, the little boy travels farther in his imagination than he ever could in real life.

After holding so tightly to logic and reason, her brother’s request leads Megs to absorb a more profound truth: “The way stories change us can’t be explained. It can only be felt. Like love.”

I'm only one chapter in, but so far, it's pretty good.  Once I finish this one, I think I'll go back to reading Shakespeare.  

And finally, the advent figure for today is the cow.


And the scripture is:  The cow and the bear shall graze, their  young shall lie down together.  Isaiah 11:7

Unfortunately, there aren't a lot of Christmas songs about cattle, so I chose this one.  It's the only one I could think of that mentions cattle.  


I guess that's it for today, so I'll sign off for now. 

Laters...

2 comments:

Amnicon Studio said...

The fetching mitts turned out cute!

Becky G said...

Thank you!