Friday, December 15, 2023

Something New

Thirty years I've lived in this town.  Thirty years, and I never knew this.  I guess I really do need to get out more.   

OK, it's quite possible some of it has been built since the last time I was on the South side of the spillway because they're always making improvements at the lake.  But it just so happened, I have a new friend in Pokemon Go so I went out looking for Pokestops to spin.  Knowing she'd never gotten any postcards from any of the Pokestops out by the lake, I hopped into the car and motored on out that way. 

I hit all the usual stops down by the tennis courts, then drove up to the North Abutment Campground to see if there were any up there.  There weren't, so I drove down to the spillway -- stopping to scan the Hasserway sign on the way -- and spun the stops there. 

I was headed up to the Visitor's Center, when on impulse, I headed to the South side day use area instead, where I discovered a lot more than Pokestops and Gyms -- such as this pier built out over the river that I had no idea was even there. 


I walked out to the very end, and found a lovely view up and down the river.   I'll need to remember to go back in the summer when the water levels are higher. 


Our lake is a reservoir maintained by the Army Corps of Engineers, and they always lower the water levels during the winter time.  

 Moving on from there, I went down another road and found....a walking trail!  


Naturally, I couldn't resist, and it was a very nice trail.  


I took a lot more pictures, but I won't bore you with them.  Maybe I'll post them a few at a time over the next day or two. 


I'd intended to also stop at the old civil war forts, but by the time I'd done with this trail, I'd changed my mind.  I just headed on into Walmart and did a bit of shopping, where I splurged and bought a pizza.  I haven't had pizza in ages, so that was a real treat.  Oh, and they had Little Debbie Cherry Cordial ice cream marked down 20%, so I bought two.  

Unfortunately, our Walmart has been pretty slacking in the Christmas candy department this year, but today they had mint truffle kisses -- finally.  They didn't have any cherry cordial kisses, though, which are my favorite.   Even so, I was able to pick up some candy and another gift for Brennan.  Still, I'm thinking of heading up to Batesville tomorrow or maybe Monday to see what they have up there.   And I can go spin the Pokestops at the mounds while I'm there, and see what their town Square looks like. 

 For now, I'm about to get off of here and watch The Man Who Invented Christmas, but before I go, here is today's advent figure, the Gloria Angel.


Do not be afraid; for see -- I am bringing you good news of great joy for all the people: to you is born this day in the city of David a Savior, who is the Messiah, the Lord.  Luke 2:10-11

1 comment:

Amnicon Studio said...

I love finding gems like this in the local area.

It looks like you are taking advantage of your time off. Thanks for sharing the photos.