Friday, December 29, 2023

Be Proud

You will all be very proud of me.  Why?  

After all these years, I finally signed up for my military discount at Lowe's.  But why didn't I do it before?  Because they've finally got it to where you can sign up on the website.  I don't know how long it's been like that, but I just found it yesterday evening.  

I looked two years ago when I bought my new washing machine, but didn't see any way to sign up online then.  All I found was that I would have to go to their customer service desk and ask them to sign me up.  Every time I went up to the Lowe's in Batesville, I'd think to myself, "Self, you really need to go talk to them about that military discount card,"  but there was always an excuse.  There was a line.  I didn't know if I'd need to bring my DD-214.  I just didn't feel like talking to the rep.  I always had a reason, and I never did it.  

Yesterday, I was on one of my veteran's groups on Facebook, and someone mentioned that you can sign up for the military discount on the Lowe's website, so off I zipped and got 'er done.  The whole reason for this is that I'm seriously considering replacing my dishwasher.  It hasn't worked right in a couple of years, but I'd never really seen the need to get a new one what with it being just me and all.  I don't need a dishwasher just for my one bowl and two spoons that I use per day.  

Anyway, I'm just thinking about it.  I don't know if I'll actually get a new one or not.  I've still got to replace my fences first. 

Today has been an overcast, somewhat dreary day.  I don't think the temperature got out of the 40s, but despite all that, I managed to get up and go in to Walmart and hit the clearance aisle once again. Today's haul was pretty good.  I bought a couple of sets of gift bags, some paper plates and napkins, a new paper tablecloth, and yes, another box of Christmas cards.  


I guess I don't think eight is enough.  HAHAHAHAHA!!  OK, I'll stop now.   

I also found another one of those Snoopy mug and glass sets, so I think I'll give one each to Cody and  Brennan next year.  

They had a whole bunch of wax melts, but only got four.  I wonder where these where at the beginning of the Christmas season, because I sure didn't see them then. 


They might not make it until next year.  Neither will these soaps. 


They're predicting a pretty stout cold snap by the middle of next month, so the hot chocolate will need some marshmallows -- like I don't already have tons of marshmallows. 


And despite having a butt load of sprinkles, I bought more.  


Don't ask why.  I don't even know.   Maybe because they're cute.  They have candy canes, ornaments, gingerbread men, Christmas lights, snowflakes, and stockings in them.  Maybe because I bought this, as well. 


It's a cookie cutter set to make gingerbread houses with.  I think next year, I might try to bake my own.  It does come with a recipe, so that ought to be fun.  BTW, I still need to make the one I bought this year.  That might be my New Year's Eve activity, since I don't go to parties any more.  Or ever did...

I found these cute little pen sets, and bought two to put into Cody and Brennan's stockings next year, 


but the Grogu Pez dispenser is all mine.  


I bought a few more bags of Christmas candy, and a box of half price cereal, because you can never have too much cereal.  


That was about it for clearance stuff, though I did buy another one of those metal buckets -- avoiding the mouse count this time -- and another bag of deer corn.   That's pretty much it.  I didn't even buy any food, other than a bunch of bananas, because I still have plenty at home. 

Speaking of food, since it was such a whirlwind Christmas, Cody didn't even have time to make my gumbo, so this afternoon, I cut up the trinity I'd bought and put them into the freezer.  I'll try to get around to making the gumbo myself one weekend, but for now, I think I'll just eat up all the soup I already have in the freezer.  And honey, it's a lot.  

And finally, you will all be pleased to know I decided which pattern to cast on with that yarn I posted yesterday.   It's an old scarf called Trekking Is For Necking, from the now defunct Nipper Knits blog.  I'd link, but I can't even find it on the Wayback Machine.  Fortunately, I had printed out a copy years ago, when the site was still live.  Good thing, because it's one of my go-to scarf patterns.  It's only four rows, and easily memorized.  

I'll post a photo once it gets long enough to see.   But for now, I'm busy watching bowl games.  

Laters. 

3 comments:

Amnicon Studio said...

Quite the haul there! I had to blow the one photo up to see what the scents were. I can't believe it - food scented soap! Ha ha ha ha ha!

Good for you for getting signed up for your discount. I totally understand the not wanting to go and talk to someone, though.

The other day I was thinking about all these blogs and patterns that were *hot* back when I started knitting, and now most people probably haven't heard of. It's sad to see that some of these things are just lost in the internet ether.

Becky G said...

Some of the blogs I really miss are Wendy Knits, Zeneedle, and Zarazuela Knits And Crochets, and Grumperina.

I also miss the old Pioneer Woman blog, when it was all about life on the ranch, and less about her cooking show and mercantile. She doesn't even blog any more. I guess she's too busy on Food Network.

Amnicon Studio said...

I stopped paying much attention to WendyKnits when I heard someone say she was rude about someone's method of knitting socks. I haven't heard of the others, except Grumperina. That's a name I haven't heard in a LONG time.


I remember the Old Pioneer Woman's blog too! It was fun and I learned quite a bit about digital photography. I tried watching her show, once or twice. Didn't care for it.