Thursday, December 07, 2023

A Day Of Remembrance

* Blogmas and Advent will be posted below the remembrance. 

December 7, 1941


Tell it to your children, 



and let your children tell it to their children, 


and their children to the next generation.  --Joel 1:3


So that we may never forget.  


Normally, I'd only post about Pearl Harbor today, but since I had decided to do blogmas and advent, this will be a little different.  I know this may seem like a lot to put into a single post, but there is a lot going on.  I'd considered doing two posts, but since most of you don't click through on my history posts anyway, I decided to put it all into one.  

If you made it this far, congratulations.  Most people won't.  OK?  On we go...  

Today's advent figure is Mary, the mother of Jesus. 



And the scripture is:  The angel said to her, "Do not be afraid, Mary, for you have found favor with God.  And now, you will conceive in your womb and bear a son, and you will name him Jesus.  Luke 1:30-31

The nice thing about doing this advent again after not doing it for so long is that so many new songs have been written in the intervening years.  

This is one of them.  It is loosely based on the song Mary sang when she went to see her relative Elizabeth, which can be found in Luke's gospel, chapter one beginning with verse 46:

“My soul glorifies the Lord and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior,
for he has been mindful of the humble state of his servant.
From now on all generations will call me blessed, 
for the Mighty One has done great things for me—Holy is his name.
His mercy extends to those who fear him, from generation to generation.
He has performed mighty deeds with his arm; 
He has scattered those who are proud in their inmost thoughts.
He has brought down rulers from their thrones but has lifted up the humble.
He has filled the hungry with good things but has sent the rich away empty.
He has helped his servant Israel, remembering to be merciful 
to Abraham and his descendants forever, 
just as he promised our ancestors.”


And finally, tonight is the first night of Hanukkah, 


So you know what I have to post.  Yep, my favorite Hanukkah song by the Maccabeats. 


 

No comments: