Sunday, December 03, 2023

Knitting and .... Other Stuff

It was chilly enough this morning that a little fire in the grate felt right nice.  It warmed up pretty quickly, though, so instead of burning some of my good oak wood, I tossed in some of that privet I'd cut out of the fence last summer.  They were small pieces, only about an inch in diameter, so they'd already dried out enough that they burned pretty well.  I think I might start burning more of it on these mostly warm but just need something to take the edge off days.  

In more exciting news, look at this, y'all.  Look at my Whatever Cactus!  


I haven't had one blooming this well in years!  I think it must be because I repotted it last summer in soil specifically blended for succulents.  The one on the lower shelf that you can barely see is also looking much better.   I'm still debating on whether to separate the top one by color, because I have three different colors in it.  Eh, I won't be repotting them until June anyway, so I've got plenty of time to decide. 

So anyway, I was watching one of my childhood favorites on YouTube,


when I got the notice from my internet provider that I've used up my data for the month.  They've added another 100G, which should get me through the end of my billing cycle next Saturday.  I'm not going to freak out and run to upgrade, though.  I kind of expected to go over this month, and next month as well, because I'll have so much more time at home and will be streaming more than normal.  Once I go back to work in January I should be OK.  I'd planned on upgrading anyway as soon as my finances settle down some -- which will happen once work settles down some.  

By the way, that version of Marley's Ghost scared the patooties out of me when I was 4.  

Next up on the docket was to watch The Muppet Christmas Carol on Disney +, but having gotten the notice about my data, I broke out the DVD instead. 


All in all, it was a good day to catch up on Christmas shows, since the Cowboys played Thursday.  

Oh, they announced which teams would be in the CFP this morning.  Alabama and Texas both made it, but FSU didn't, which has made several people irate.  But you know, I've been saying it for years.  You can't have a truly fair championship in the world of collegiate sports.  It's too big, and too diversified, and there will always be someone who feels like his team got the short shift.  

It was that way back when it was the BCS and the two teams who played for the National Championship were chosen by a committee.   I said it again when they switched to the CFP and discovered that the four teams who will go to the playoffs would be chosen by committee -- how would that be any different?  (I tried to go back and find where I'd posted about that, but couldn't find the post.)  

Actually, I'd written quite a few post about it, so if you're interested, you can go back and read them.  But let's move on for now.  

In knitting news, I finished the first Fetching, and cast on the second. 


The second on, I cast on to a circular needle before switching to DPNs, which seemed to be easier -- mainly because I didn't have to worry about stitches falling off of the other end of the needle. 

Whelp, I'm going to get off of here and watch another Christmas movie on DVD and work on that second fetching.  Before I go, I wanted to show you a close up of my mantle decorations, and give you the Advent for today.  Oh, and someone put up a somewhat pathetic looking tree in the break area at work. 

 I guess we should give them credit for trying.   

Here is my mantle: 


Beverly and James gave me all this stuff when they moved back to Texas.  


I added a string of white lights later, because that corner is so dark anyway.   The downside to that is, because of my astigmatism, when I have the lights turned on, I can't see any of the garland and stuff.  It's just one bright, white glare.  

And finally today's advent image is the rose.



The wildness and the dry land shall be glad, the desert shall rejoice and blossom; like the crocus it shall blossom abundantly, and rejoice with joy and singing Isaiah 35 1-2


That's it for now.  

Laters. 

2 comments:

Amnicon Studio said...

Your cactus is gorgeous!

If you have a limit on your internet and want to stream more, you should be able to go into the settings and reduce the resolution and use less date. I had to do that last year, or earlier this year, with our starlink, when they decided to put a limit on accounts. I was streaming Fat Quarter Shop all day for Furby and she would not hear of not having Kimberly play all day. You don't lose much in the quality of the video, too.

Becky G said...

OK, I'll give that a try. Thanks!