Sunday, December 31, 2023

New Year's Eve

Today is December 31, and it is 70° outside.   It was so warm, I was able to open my doors and windows and get some fresh air into the house, and also put the plants out on the porch to get some sun.   


They are safely tucked inside the house now, because it's supposed to get back down into the 30s tonight.  

Speaking of tonight, I don't have any plans for New Year's Eve, other than watching the Happy New Year, Charlie Brown show and knitting-- in other words, my usual New Year's Eve plans.  

Speaking of knitting, the scarf is moving right along, 


and would be moving along ever farther if I would actually sit down and work on it more.  It's a pretty easy knit, but not quite as mindless as a hat.  

This morning, I got up and took down the outside lights and put them away.  And with that, everything is down except for the tree.  


I'll do that tomorrow.   I want to enjoy it one more night before putting it away for another year. 

The only other thing I've done today was to take my mini chainsaw out and cut some of the fallen branches up into kindling size pieces of wood.  I collect up the stuff that falls out of the trees during storms and whatnot and use it for firewood.  I've also been burning up all the privet I cut out of my fences over the summer.  

It actually makes pretty good firewood.  The biggest problem is finding pieces with a big enough diameter to make it worth burning.  The stuff I cut down had been growing so long, some of it was about 4" in diameter, so I'm doing all right there.  And it was free, so there is that.  

I need to get someone to come cut down that box elder that is growing behind my back fence, too.  It's not a huge tree, but it's a little more than I want to handle by myself.  Eh, maybe I'll get out there one day and see if I can cut it down without killing myself.  Like I said, it's not real big, but because it's so close to the fence, it's giving me pause.  

Oh well, I'll figure it out.  

I guess that's about it for today.  I hope you all have a very happy new year, and all that comes with it. 

1 comment:

Amnicon Studio said...

It sounds like you had about as rocking a New year's eve as I did!