Saturday, September 09, 2023

Downtown Jubilee

This is something I look forward to every year, our Downtown Jubilee on the square, and this year was no different.  What was different about this year is that I actually got there early enough to sign up for a swamp tour.  Usually, I'm too late and all the tours fill up, but this year, I made it a point to get there bright and early, and got a spot.  

For those of you who don't know the story, this swamp is right downtown, just off the town square.  Several years ago, the city was going to have it clear cut and sell the lumber, but a group of citizens got together and raised enough money to buy the trees, so to speak, and saved the swamp.   I've said for years  one day I'd go down there and walk the trails, but I never managed to pry myself out of the chair and leave the house, so I was glad to get to go today. 

At first, I thought it was just going to be myself and one other lady, but at the last minute, a whole bunch of high school kids climbed onto the wagon.    Turns out they were a group of JROTC students, and I ws surprised at how much they were getting into the tour, and nature and all. 


One of the tour guides pointed out a cypress sapling and was telling them how they have to be on dry land to germinate, but that one would probably drown when the water rose again.  The kids were very upset over that, so they named the little tree Nature Reese's and the guide dug it up and transplanted it to a bit of higher ground.  Maybe it'll live.  

On the way back to the square, the guide was quizzing them on what they'd learned, and they remembered quite a lot, so I was impressed.  


While all this was going on, I was talking to the other tour guide, telling her I'd grown up in the swamps of Southeast Texas, and this was a bit like coming home.  


She was trying really hard to get me involved in the Friends of Chakchiuma Swamp group.  I don't know about that, but I definitely need to go back more often.  They are building another new walking trail that will open next month, so I might try to go to that when they have the grand opening. 


Plus, there is a Pokestop there, so I can get my friend a different postcard every once in a while. 

After the tour, I spent a few moments browsing the vendor booths, and bought a few things which I can't show you because they'll be Christmas presents.  I can show you this one, which I had thought to give as a Christmas gift, but decided to keep it for myself. 


I was a bit disappointed that they didn't have the car show this year, but they had plenty of vendor booths. 


And lots of bouncy houses and games for the kids. 


And massively overpriced food.  I debated on getting a funnel cake, but in the end, I didn't.  I told one of my friends who I ran in to out there, "I'll pay a little extra for these handmade crafts and things, but I'm not paying $7 for a glass of tea."  

Afterwards, I watched the cornhole tournament for a bit, 


then came on home and watched football for the rest of the day.  I didn't get to see any of my teams, but there was still plenty to watch.  Oh, and due to the conference realignments and new contracts and whatever, the Big 10 gets Gary this year. *Chuckles evilly*

If you know, you know....

No comments: