Monday, June 07, 2021

In A Funk

 I've been in a bit of a funk this last week.  I mean, I always get in a funk for a bit when I come back from a trip home, but this time...it was so good to have all my family there -- except my oldest nephew, who couldn't get off work.  It was crowded, and loud, and busy, and even my introvert self didn't want the weekend to end.    

You know, one of the reasons I decided to take up the piano again (after one year of lessons in 5th grade) was because I'm the only one who doesn't play an instrument of some sort.  But I didn't really realize how very musically talented my family is until that Friday night.  Cody and Paul had brought their guitars, and we borrowed my cousin Judy's keyboard so they could practice the song they were going to sing at the memorial.

As soon as they got the keyboard set up, Russell started playing.  

When Russ finished, Paul started playing a song he's learning.

 then Andrew...even Joshua walked over and plinked a few keys.  On the other side of the room,  Paul and Cody began working up a song on their guitars, 

and as soon as one was put down, Yoke Wan picked it up and began entertaining the little girls, while Andrew played the keyboard.

As soon as Andrew got off the keyboard, Russell started playing again, this time with an audience of little girls

who, before it was all over, crawled up into his lap...and he let them!  

I never thought I'd see the day, but he's mellowing.  

And when it finally came time for the boys to practice their song, the whole family joined in.

It's such a good song, how could we not?  

All evening, it was one song after another.  It was loud, it was noisy, it was chaotic, and it was exactly what an evening with a family of musicians should be.   And I couldn't help but thinking as I sat there how much my mother would have loved it.  

Now, I want to make my sister move back from Alaska, and my brother move back from El Paso, and myself move back from Mississippi...Who knows when we'll all get together again?  

Anyway, I'll update you on what I've been doing since I got back another time.  I hope you've enjoyed our family jam session as much as I did.  Now, if you'll excuse me, I must go practice my piano, so maybe next time, I can join in!

No comments: