Friday, October 07, 2016

An Expensive Day

It started out as a normal Friday -- well, normal for me having a day off, that is.  I slept in until 6:30.  I got up and did a load of laundry.  I checked the mail, and in said mail was my new Navy hat.

I'm not sure why I keep buying all these hats, when I really don't like wearing them.

But they look cool and they say Navy on them.  So there is that.  And I do wear them when I'm mowing, to keep the sun from blinding me.  The irony here is that I used to wear hats all the time, until I joined the Navy and had to wear them.  Now, I don't like wearing hats.  Go figure...

I put my polyurethane on my mantle pieces.

As soon as it dries really well, it'll be ready to put back onto the wall.  I've discovered through this whole process that I really like working with wood.  Well, sanding and staining at least.  We'll see about putting it all back together.

Once I'd done with that, I was just sitting there, enjoying the peace and quiet.  I didn't even have the TV on.  I was just listening to the silence.  Alas, it didn't last, because I needed to go to the store.  I didn't have much on my list that I needed, so I had a bit extra to spend.  I've had the same blanket on my bed for some 20 years, and it's getting pretty ratty.  I've been saying for years that I was going to get a new one, but I never did until today.

I was wandering up and down the bedding department aisles looking for the blankets -- they've rearranged the store again, so I don't know where anything is -- and I managed to find a bed skirt to coordinate with my comforter.

Now, I can hide the junk under my bed!

I have no idea where these came from, or how they got into my buggy, but they were on clearance!  And that's all I have to say about that.

I went over to the paint department to replace the finishing sandpaper that I can't find, or maybe never bought in the first place, I'm not sure which, and while I was there, I picked out this color to stain my bathroom door.

I'd debated on staining my mantle that color, because really I love it, but I thought a darker color would look better for said mantle.  This time, I was looking for something to match the cabinet I'd hung in the bathroom, and this seemed to be it.  When I got home, I took the can in and this color matches my bathroom cabinet very closely.  I'm glad of that.  The plan for tomorrow is to get that ceiling painted.  But then, that was the plan for today, and it didn't quite happen.

Moving right along...

Back in 2006, when I got my trailer house, Beverly and James gave me one of their old recliners.

They'd had it several years already, and I've had it for 10 years myself, so it's had a nice long life.  A few weeks ago, I was sitting there watching TV when I heard a sproing and felt the seat give a little bit.  Since then, bit by bit, the seat has given way more and more.  That brown spot on the right side of the seat is actually the floor behind the chair.   It was getting very uncomfortable to sit in, and not exactly safe either.  I just knew that one day the entire seat would fall out and I'd be sitting on the floor.

When I was leaving Wal-mart today, there was a young man at the intersection holding a sign.  One of the furniture stores was going out of business and had everything on sale.  I said to myself, "Self, you need to go down there and see what they have."  So after going home and putting my groceries up, that's exactly what I did.

I came home with this bad boy.

It is a La-Z-Boy rocking recliner that normally runs $800.  He let me have it for $467.  It's a little smaller than my old chair, but I fit in it just fine.  It also sits up higher, so I'm having to get used to the altitude.  I feel like I'm going to get a nosebleed way up here...

Wonder of wonders, they were able to get the thing in my little hatchback.  They had to take the back off and put my seats down, but it fit.  The guy loading it was very concerned about how I was going to get it into the house when I got home.  "I just want you to be OK," he said.  I assured him I could ask one of the neighbors to help me with it.  Turns out, I didn't need to.  It wasn't that heavy, and I was able to get it out of the car and inside by myself.

Before I left the furniture store, I asked the guy if they had any mattresses and box springs.  I need to replace the one in Cody's room, and since they were marking everything down, it seemed a good opportunity to get one for less money.

This is something else I'd been planning for a while.  There is an old bed frame out in my shed that the previous owner left.  I am going to get it down and see if it is still any good.  It looks to be in good shape, but until I see it up close, I don't know for sure.  Even if it isn't any good, I can get a bed frame for less than $100.  I have a plan for the headboard, but I don't want to get into that here.  This post is already long enough.

Anyway, I asked about mattresses and box springs.  He said he could order me one, if they didn't have what I was looking for.  He pointed out one, and I lay down on it.  It was so comfortable, I said, "I might put this one in my room, and let my son have my old mattress!"  They didn't have the size I was looking for -- I'm putting a full in that room because the room is kind of small -- so they ordered one for me.  The good news is, it was a $1297 set, and, even though he had to order it, he let me have it at the clearance price of $584!  So, I made out like a bandit in that sale.

Next step is to beg my bosses for more overtime, so I can pay for all that furniture I just bought.  Or rather, to build my savings back up after using it to pay for all that furniture I bought.  Yeah, that's the ticket...

No comments:


Related Posts with Thumbnails