Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Bed Time Story

I was going to do a knitting update post today, but I am so sleepy. 

I haven't gotten used to these 4:15 mornings, yet. 

Yesterday at work, I was so sleepy I wondered if I'd taken my sleeping pills by mistake that morning, instead of my vitamins. 

Today is a little better, but not much.  So your knitting update will have to wait.

I will tell you a story, though.

I've been a loyal Knit Picks customer for years.  I loved their yarns, and even more so, I loved their prices. 

Well, about a month ago, my credit card number got stolen. Fortunately, my bank has a really good fraud detection program, and the minute the first suspicious charge came through, they locked down my card and called me right away. 

No, I didn't make those charges...$1500 in total to three different websites.  Cancel the card and issue a new one.  Have to go in and change all my info for my automatic drafts-- cable, Amazon, Netflix, etc.  Pain in the hiney. 

I wracked my brain trying to figure out how my number got out.  I hadn't used my card in any place unusual.  I hadn't clicked through any e-mails and put my card number in.  Maybe Cody had used it on a game site or something...must caution him. 

Well, Friday, I was on Facebook and one of my friends made a comment on the Knit Picks page about being another dissatisfied customer.  So, I got to digging. 

Long story short, Knit Picks was storing everyone's credit/debit card numbers -- which they told us they never do-- unencrypted on a non secured server, and somebody got them. 

Lots and lots of people ended up with fraudulent charges on their cards.  People who had used their debit cards had had their entire bank accounts cleaned out.  But that's not the worst of it...

Knit Picks knew.

Knit Picks knew.   They knew the server had been compromised, and they knew people's information had been accessed.  They knew.  And they didn't feel the need to let those who might be affected know.  It wasn't until after many, many people raised a stink that they finally issued a statement, and even that statement doesn't pass the smell test.
 

Today, I got a new Knit Picks catalog in the mail.  I laughed uproariously for a moment, then tossed it into the garbage.

Where it belongs.

And I will buy my yarn from somewhere else from now on.   

No comments: