Saturday, March 03, 2012

It Always Amazes Me

It always amazes me how skies that can produce so much death and destruction one day, can be so beautiful the next.


Our thoughts and prayers go out to all those affected by the storms yesterday. Things got a little hairy here for a minute, but the worst of it passed to the North of us. We didn't even lose power, though I had both the phone and the kindle fully charged-- just in case.

Today proved blessedly noneventful. Yes, my big excitement for the day was to head back into town and get a new pair of rubber boots.


I went back to Wal-mart, thinking that they might have gotten some more in since Thursday.  Sure enough, they had some in my size.

As soon as I got home, I put them on, went out, and worked on clearing off some more honeysuckle from my plum trees.  I'm to the point now that I have to get somebody with a chainsaw to come cut down the other trees that have grown up through the plums.  Might as well get the elm tree out of the pear tree and I can work on that one, too.

Jake did help me with one.  I'm not sure what kind of tree it was, because it hadn't leafed out yet.  I was pulling the vines out of the top of it, and Jake grabbed them and started pulling, too.  After I'd cut the honeysuckle loose, the tree didn't snap back up. I shook it a few times, but it just laid there, draped across a few dead plum branches.

"Something is wrong with this tree," I said to myself.  When I walked around the plum tree and looked, Jake had broken that tree right in half.   It was a  young tree, too, green and alive.  About twice as big around as a broom handle, and he broke it like it was an old twig.

You know, sometimes people ask me if I'm afraid, living without a man in my house.  I just smile, and say, "nope".

Jake

2 comments:

Bag Blog said...

Jake is a handsome dog!

Becky G said...

Thanks, Lou. He is such a sweetheart, too!