Friday, March 23, 2012

Good News

Good news on the work front.  They announced today that sales are exceeding their forecast, so maybe we'll get some decent overtime this year.  Just thought I'd throw that out there.

You know, our first production superintendent, Ray, well, he was crazy.  I mean, not quite right in the head.  OK, really not right in the head.  He had us working 12 hours a day, 5 days a week, PLUS 10 hours on Saturdays and Sundays.  I don't miss that at all.

I do miss those paychecks, though.

I was on second shift back then, and Cody was only 2.  I was working 3:00 PM to 3:00 AM.  A two year old doesn't understand that mommy needs to sleep in.

One day, at three in the morning, I was waiting to get off work and Ray waltzed by and said, "Are we all ready to go home and get 8 or 9 hours of sleep?"

I said, "Huh!  I wish I could get that much."  Ray asked how many hours of sleep I usually got, and I replied, "Three, if I'm lucky."   He just said, "Oh" and walked off, but the 12 hour shifts didn't stop.  Not until Ray got fired. 

No one knows for sure why.  Rumor has him getting caught stealing.  Other rumors have him getting caught sleeping with several of the employees.  I'm more inclined to believe the second one, because I knew for sure at least one woman out there was messing with him.  Ray's wife had never moved here when he got the job.  This woman was telling how she went over to his house one night and his wife answered the door.  (I don't remember what happened-- it was a long time ago.)

Ray wanted to buy my first trailer house.  I was OK with that, but told him he'd have to move it.  He didn't want that.  He wanted me to move into town and let him live in my house where it sat.  I explained that I didn't own that land.  My cousins do.  He said he'd pay lot rent.  I told him that they wouldn't do that to me.  They weren't going to make me pay lot rent in a trailer part while he sat there on that land.  So, he said I'd never get moved to day shift then...

When he left, the guy who took his place, Brent Burton, we all loved him.  I explained to him how Ray had done me, and Brent got me moved to day shift.  Good thing, too, because Cody started kindergarten that fall.  If I'd had stayed on second shift, I'd have never gotten to see him, because I'd have to be at work before he got out of school.  Then he'd be asleep before I got off work.  Those few minutes in the morning getting him ready would be it. 

Sheesh, who needs reality TV?  Life has enough drama as it is.

Anyway...

My little seeds are growing like weeds.  Unfortunately, this is where it gets iffy.  They usually sprout well, then after about two or three weeks, they just all die.  I've never figured out why.  I hope these do better.


Hi Jesse!!


No, he's not getting over his camera shyness. He was outside, and I took the picture through the window. But when I got the camera and tried to take a picture directly, he still went and hid.  I guess it's good my phone takes pretty decent photos.  At least he's not afraid of that. 

And finally, your quote for the day:

"There is a just God who presides over the destines of nations ... who will raise up friends to fight our battle for us. The battle, sir, is not to the strong alone; it is to the vigilant, the active, the brave. ... Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death." --Patrick Henry on this day, 1775

No comments: