Saturday, September 11, 2010

September Saturday

Today was our town's annual Downtown Jubilee. I didn't go last year, but this year I wanted to go because they were going to have a September 11 memorial thing.  It started raining early, and I almost didn't go, but the rain passed pretty quickly.

I got there just in time for the entertainment to start.  The first thing they did was, we pledged allegiance to the flag.  Then someone got up and sang our National Anthem.  The someone led a prayer.  Yes, we had a prayer.  We still pray before football games, too.

Anyway, after the prayer, they recognized firefighters, then policemen, and finally veterans and military personnel.  I eschewed my normal practice of flying incognito and actually went up there with the vets.  Once all the speechifying was done, the community choir got up and sang patriotic songs.

By that time, I was walking around perusing the craft booths.  They really didn't have a whole lot to offer, but the guy with the sports stuff was back.  He makes plaque type things with mostly football cards.  I'd bought some in years past.  He was heavy on the Manning brothers, but did have some Tony Romo and Jason Witten cards.  In the end, however, I made just one purchase.  
 

After that, I came home.  The sky would cloud over, then clear up,


 then cloud over again and even rain a bit.  No matter, I had plenty of football to watch.  Florida easily defeated South Florida 38-14, then I watched Oklahoma pulverize Florida State 47-17.  Bummer, though, that Texas and LSU played at the same time, and neither one on my TV.  No matter.  I watched LSU defeat Vanderbilt on the computer, and followed Texas on Yahoo sports. 

LSU definitely has some problems.  Last week, they led 30-10 at halftime, and didn't score another point during the game.  Moreover, they let North Carolina 14 points, and get within one play of scoring the game winning touchdown.  This week looked to be almost the same.  At the end of the third, the score was 10-3.

(Photo by Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images)


Then Les Miles took Jordan Jefferson out of the game and put in Jarrett Lee.  The whole offense seemed to pick up then, and they scored 17 points in the 4th quarter to put the game away.  Still, they're going to have to do better if they want to win in the SEC. 

I stayed up last night until 12:30 AM.  That's something I haven't done in a long, long time.  I think it's time for me to head for bed.

Got Cowboys/Redskins tomorrow.  I want to be ready for it.

No comments: