Saturday, September 25, 2010

A Sad Saturday

Texas got absolutely trounced by UCLA.  Final score was 34-12.  It wasn't pretty.

We knew Texas wouldn't be the same team as last year.  They'd lost so many of their weapons.  Colt McCoy, Jordan Shipley, Earl Thomas.  They'd really struggled this year, but had caught some lucky breaks.  Well, this time it caught up with them.  Too many turnovers, too many mistakes.  Oh, they'll get it together, but probably not this season.

AUSTIN, TX - SEPTEMBER 25: Quarterback Garrett Gilbert  of the Texas Longhorns looks to pass against the UCLA Bruins at Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium on September 25, 2010 in Austin, Texas. (Photo by Ronald Martinez/Getty Images)


LSU, on the other hand, has struggled for the last three years...ever since Matt Flynn, Jacob Hester, and Early Doucet graduated.  Even as I type, they are leading West Virginia, but have really seemed disconnected on offense.  They just aren't moving the ball.  The crowd is booing Jordan Jefferson more and more, but Les Miles won't bench him.  I can tell it's going to be a frustrating season for LSU fans. The one bright spot in this game has been Patrick Peterson's 62 yard  punt return for a touchdown.

BATON ROUGE, LA - SEPTEMBER 25: Patrick Peterson  of the Louisiana State Univeristy Tigers runs for a touchdown against the West Virginia Mountaineers at Tiger Stadium on September 25, 2010 in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. (Photo by Chris Graythen/Getty Images)


I spent most of the day working on my newest charity scarf.  Simple garter stitch, I really needed something mindless.


One of my friends has offered to send me some extra yarn that she has, which I gladly accepted.  I haven't really been making these scarves much lately, though I used to have one going all the time.  I've missed it.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm the only one who still posts Saturday Sky photos.  The web ring seems to have died.  Even I don't do it every week any more.  Anyway, today's Saturday Sky was partly to mostly cloudy all day, but we didn't get any of the promised rain that we so desperately need.


I've watched football all my life, and I think I have a pretty good understanding of the game, but still, when I saw this book, I knew I had to have it.


Judging by the reviews on Amazon.com, it's not a beginner's introduction to the game. That's good for me. I don't really need a beginner's introduction. But sometimes, there are things I'd like to know--like the difference between a screen and a bubble screen, or what makes a skinny post route a skinny post route-- and there's no one around to ask.  Maybe this book will provide some answers.  I'll do a full review after I've read it.

And since I was ordering from Amazon.com, I went ahead and picked up this musical


I've been wanting it for a long time, and I finally got it.

Well, the LSU game is over now.  They hung on to win it 20-14, thanks in large part to their defense.  Now, if only they could find an offense.  And since the dog doesn't believe in sleeping in, I'd better head to bed.

.

No comments: