Saturday, September 04, 2010

Autumn Saturday

I woke up this morning to a little bit of a nip, and a distinctive fall flavor to the air.  An eerie fog crept through the pastures,


 winding its tentacles through the hay bales.


 Off in the distance, repeated gunfire announced the opening of the first hunting season of the year.  It was chilly enough that this


hit the spot.  Instead of waiting for it to cool down enough to walk the dogs, today I had to wait for it to warm up enough. The temperature when I got up:  55'.   It was wonderful!

Last night was the first high school home football game.  I didn't go, but later on as the evening progressed, I wished that I had.  I missed it.  Next week, I just might go.  Who cares if the boy doesn't want me there?  Today is the first full day of college football. 

And, a sure sign that it's definitely fall:



Candy corn in the stores!

A few weeks ago, I'd bought Scarlett a new hide.  Well, she'd gone in and out of it, but still seemed to prefer hiding out under her water bowl.  Last night, I buried the hide and kind of sloped her substrate up until the entrance was right at ground level.  That seemed to do the trick.  When I came into the snake room this morning, there she was.  And she's hardly left it.


Thursday at work, we had some visitors.  I'm not sure who they were, but they were pretty important--as in high up in the Lennox organizations.  I mean really high up.  High up enough to give Greg (the Director of Operations) the jitters and have Jake (the Production Superintendent) positively soil his underpants.  They were all clustered around my brazing stand, when over on the assembly line, one of the line brazers lit her torch.  It made a little pop--not real loud--but loud enough to make one of those visitors nearly jump out of his skin.  I, of course, think such things are absolutely hilarious.  But this was an important person, so I tried not to laugh.  I really did, but I failed miserably. 

As I was standing there, about to blow my eardrums out trying to restrain my laughter, I looked up and the man was looking right at me.  I thought for a moment that I was in real trouble, but then he started laughing, too, and all was right with the world once again.

.

No comments: