Thursday, September 16, 2010

One And Ten

One thing to cross off my WIP list. I finally finished this charity scarf.


I must say, this yarn was simply awful to work with. But this was for Scarves From The Heart, and somebody had donated a bunch of yarn for scarves. I volunteered to help and this is the lot that was chosen for me.

Another blog I read Carole Knits, does this weekly thing called Ten On Tuesday.  Every Tuesday, she posts a topic and participating blogs list 10 things pertaining to that topic.  I don't usually participate, because by the time I get around to compiling my list, it's Wednesday or Thursday.  This week's topic was pretty good, though, so I decided to do it.  Even though it is now Thursday, here is your Ten On Tuesday for this week.

Ten Reasons to Watch Football. 
(Anyone care to hazard a guess as to why I chose to participate?)



Almost everyone else who participated mentioned two things in common:  knitting time, and food.  You won't find those in my list, as you can knit just as well watching dumb shows like Desperate Housewives or 30 Rock.  And you can eat any time.  My list takes a slightly different tack than the others listed.  ( Notice that nowhere in my list will you find any mention of tight pants or butts.)

Ten reasons I like to watch football are:

1.  That bone crunching sound that they make when one player hits another really, really hard.  And the blood that sometimes accompanies such hits.


New York Giants Eli Manning bleeds from his forehead after being sacked and hit in the head in the second quarter against the New York Jets in week 1 of the NFL Preseason at New Meadowlands Stadium in East Rutherford, New Jersey on August 16, 2010.    UPI /John Angelillo Photo via Newscom


2.  The excitement, the anticipation--knowing that every play could be THE BIG PLAY.  Especially when someone like Felix Jones is on the field. 

3.  When that big play finally happens, like Dexter McCluster's 94 yard punt return Monday night.

4.  The excitement of a last second, come from behind touchdown for a win (unless it's your team on the losing end of that deal.)

5.  The fact that football is the ultimate team game.  You have 11 guys on the field, and if just one man doesn't do his job, it could cost you that game. It is an exercise in total cooperation and teamwork. 

6.  The 76  yard touchdown runs.

7.  The 50, 60, even the 90 yard touchdown passes.

8.  The circus catches, the one handed grabs, the impossible interceptions.

9.  The history and tradition of the game.  Football is a uniquely American game, and is the most popular sport in America.  More people watch PRE-SEASON football games, than watch the Stanley cup, the NBA finals, or the World Series.  It truly reflects the heart of American culture.  Football was developed here, and, though other countries are starting football leagues of their own, it still belongs here.

10.  That certain kind of crazy camaraderie that is found only among football fans.


A Washington Redskins fan watches the Redskins play the Dallas Cowboys at FedEx Field in Landover, Maryland on September 12, 2010. UPI/Kevin Dietsch Photo via Newscom


SEATTLE - SEPTEMBER 12: A fan of the Seattle Seahawks wears a 49er doll on his head, pierced by a spike of his hair during the NFL season opener against the San Francisco 49ers at Qwest Field on September 12, 2010 in Seattle, Washington. The Seahawks defeated the 49ers 31-6. (Photo by Otto Greule Jr/Getty Images)

EAST RUTHERFORD, NJ - SEPTEMBER 12: Giants fans show their colours during the NFL season opener between the New York Giants and the Carolina Panthers at New Meadowlands Stadium on September 12, 2010 in East Rutherford, New Jersey. (Photo by Chris McGrath/Getty Images)


So, there you have it. My top ten reasons to watch football. What are yours?

.

2 comments:

Sus said...

Yay for FO's!! I'm sure someone is really going to appreciate this winter.

My top ten would look remarkably like yours, but I will add this: I love the pace. High intensity bursts of action separated by regimented short periods of regrouping. I don't care as much for sports that involve a lot of constant running (or skating, etc.) around chasing something. And I do like baseball quite a lot (especially going in person), but if you've ever heard George Carlin's baseball vs. football bit, I totally agree with him.

Becky G said...

I had heard that before. It's funny you should mention it, because I had a bit in my list comparing football to the American Revolution, and taming the frontier. I took it out, because it just seemed out of place with the rest.

I do like the pace of football, too. It's a half minute of rest, followed by a few seconds of mayhem. That's why I like short track ice skating, too, especially the 500M. It's 40 seconds of mayhem, as Apolo Ohno says.