Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Band Concert

The spring band concert was last night and let me tell you, I was absolutely appalled at what I heard.

Oh, not the kids. The kids were great. They had worked hard and played really well.

But I was still appalled.

You see, I remember a day when you went to hear children perform, whatever they were doing, and actually sat quietly and listened to them. Even if you weren't that interested, you still respected the amount of work they put into their performance, and, well...sat quietly.

Not so anymore.

Apparently I'm pretty far out of the loop these days. Five bands played last night, a concert that lasted just shy of two hours. It was a standing room only crowd. That auditorium was packed with people.

I wondered why they were even there. They for sure weren't listening to the bands. They were too busy talking. There was NEVER a moment during those two hours when the audience was quiet. A steady murmer of conversation. People talking to each other. Talking on cell phones. Playing games on cell phones. Walking all over the auditorium.

Whatever happened to common courtesy?

No comments: