Thursday, August 24, 2023

I Almost Didn’t


 I almost didn’t go to work today. 

Oh, nothing is wrong.  I was just laying there in bed this morning, thinking about how miserably hot it is in the plant, and I came thisclose to calling in and staying in the air conditioning all day.  But then I thought, "It's still going to be hot tomorrow, too", so out of bed I got and in to work I went. 

And it ended up being just as hot and miserable as I'd expected it to be.  

The good news is, there is relief in sight.  The heat is supposed to break Monday, and the temps will only be in the low 90s instead of the low 100s.  It will be such a relief!

In other news, I've recently started playing Pokémon Go again.   It was meant to encourage me to start walking more, but alas, it's been too hot.  Maybe when it cools off some.  But for now, I'm pretty much limited to catching Pokémon in the parking lot at work, and in Walmart.  

I've got a couple of friends who send me postcards -- and I mean in the game, not in real life-- and I send them postcards back.  I'm pretty sure they're both getting tired of getting Grenada Airfield Hangar postcards, but those are what I have the most of.  Probably since the airport is right across the street from the plant.  

So, yesterday after work, I drove out to the lake to see if I could get any different postcards to send. I did find a few, but what I found in abundance was....Pokestops!  And Gyms, which I don't even know what to do with, but there were at least three.   Plus about ten Pokestops.  That little picnic area next to the Visitor's Center (for you local folks) had four of them by itself.  And there was one at the old Civil War fort, plus two at the spillway, and one at the entrance to the Hasserway Wetlands Management area...

I was able to spin them all without even getting out of the car!  They must have added all of them since I stopped playing a while back, because I was sure they weren't there before. And I didn't even go across the dam and to the north abutment area.  There might even be more up there.  

After a pleasant drive around the lake, I came home to find a surprise in my mailbox.  I mean, a real surprise, not a package I ordered from Amazon.  And what was this surprise?  It was a letter from an old pen pal in Maine!  I hadn't heard from her in ages, and thought she'd ghosted me, so that really was a surprise.  I'll right her back this weekend, when I'm huddling in the air conditioning. 

Because that's all I plan on doing until the heat breaks.  


No comments: