Saturday, January 16, 2021

Pleased

 I'm sure you all will be pleased to know that, even though I had to stay up until nearly midnight last night, the last of the yarn barf has been untangled, and the yarn has been wound into a nice, neat, center pull cake. 

You will further be pleased to know some of it has been knit into a blanket square. 


Some of you will be also be pleased to know I've figured out how to move my 401(k) out of the stock market and into bonds, in anticipation of the coming economic crash.  I still need to figure out how to switch future contributions, but I'll work on that later.  Too much financial planning strains my brain.  All I know is, I've seen some of the incoming administration's proposals, and times are about to get tough.  Very tough.  

We are definitely in the Weak Men Make Hard Times arc of the cycle.   

Still others of you will be pleased to know that I did more than just sit around watching movies and knitting today.  Well, I did laundry and washed the dishes, but there's nothing exciting about that.   And I cleaned a couple of snake tanks, which is only marginally more exciting.  

But something exciting did happen today.  Something exciting and more than just a bit creepy.  And that exciting, but creepy thing that happened is as follows.    

When I was a child, my Mammaw had this music box that she put out at Christmas.  It was shaped like a church, complete with stained glass windows -- which were really plastic.  It had a light inside, and when you wound it up, it played Silent Night.  

I loved that music box.  Every time we went over to her house, the first thing I did was to run over and wind it up.  (The second thing I did was to rearrange her Nativity scene so that all the wise men could see the baby Jesus, but that's a different story for a different day. )  One year, when I was about 5 or 6, she bought me my own little music box, shaped like a pipe organ, that played Silent Night.  I still have it.


Admittedly, it is a little worse for the wear, as several of the bits have broken off.  One of the cherubs is completely gone, and the other has lost his wings.  The angel playing the organ is missing one wing, and the little candles are also missing.  But it still plays.  

I keep it stored away in a drawer in Cody's room.  

Well, this morning, as I was getting up to let Jesse out, I heard something.  Something that sounded an awful lot like a music box playing Silent Night.  Curious, I followed the sound.  To Cody's room.  To the drawer.  And the music box stored there...

It had, completely of its own volition, suddenly started playing. 

Nothing at all spooky about that....but I think I may need to start looking for a new house.  








No comments: