Saturday, December 01, 2018

So Proud

Y'all would be so proud of me.  Why? 

I made another phone call!

Yes, that's two days in a row that I've made phone calls.  I'm exhausted now, but the deeds are done. 

Today's phone call was to Ancestry.com customer service.  See, I'd gotten the All Access membership during a special promotional deal, in which I got it for the basic membership price.  However, it's due to renew this month, and they were going to renew it for the full price of $199 for six months.  Yeah, I'm not going to pay nearly $400 for something I don't use all that much.  In fact, I don't think I ever even used the additional features the All Access provides.  So, I chose to downgrade my membership back to the basic one.

The thing I don't like is you can upgrade online, but to downgrade, you have to call.  I don't like that about Cable One, either.  I get my internet through them, but you can't change or cancel your plan online.  You have to call -- or in my case, drive all the way across town, which I'd rather do than call. 

That was my big thing to do for today.  The rest of the day was filled with mundane chores like laundry and house cleaning.  The only exciting thing I did was to get my sister's family's Christmas gifts ordered.

A few weeks ago, I'd asked her to have her kids make wish lists on Amazon, because I'd much rather send gifts than gift cards.  Another benefit is, I can have what I choose for them shipped directly to my sister's house in Alaska, instead of buying things then having to mail them up there.  When I've done that in the past, I've spent more on postage than on the gifts themselves.  This way, I can save the money I would have spent on shipping, and spend a little more on each nephew than I would have otherwise. 

So, the whole point of that story is, I asked them to make wish lists so I wouldn't have to send gift cards.  What does my youngest nephew do?  Fills his wish list with gift cards.  A gift card in a bow tin.  A gift card in a cupcake tin.  A gift card in an Amazon box tin...What could I do?  I got him a gift card. 

Oh, and you know that earthquake that hit Anchorage yesterday morning?  My brother in law and oldest nephew were in Fairbanks (they live about an hour north) when it hit, and they said they could feel it all the way up there.  That had to have been a powerful quake to be felt that far away. 

Last but not least, my friend Kristine has a shop on Etsy, Stormy Blue.  She makes candles, soap, and lip balms.  I will admit, her stuff is usually a bit more than I would pay for soap and candles, but I will also admit, it's worth it.  Her stuff smells so good!  And totally unique.  I've never smelled anything quite like them. 

A week or so ago, she put up a Christmas candle collection, and I promptly ordered it. 


I'd bought Holmes For The Holidays and Gaudete last year, and since then, I've been hoarding them like a miser.  Or this time of year, you might say like Mr. Scrooge.  Now that my new candles have arrived, I can burn them with abandon!  And that's exactly what I have done.

All afternoon.

Do go and give her shop a visit.  Whatever you choose, I can promise, you won't be disappointed. 

No comments: