Saturday, December 08, 2018

For Real This Time

It's Saturday for real this time.

All day yesterday, it felt like Saturday to me.  I kept thinking I needed to rush home from work and start some laundry, I needed to do this, I needed to do that.  I needed to set my DVR to record the new cheesy Hallmark movies.  I needed to check the football schedule....and so on and so forth.  Then I'd remember it was only Friday.  I guess it felt like a Saturday because it was overtime.  Which I can't pass up. 

All that to say,  I did go to work yesterday.  Yes, there was some question about whether I would or not.  When the alarm went off, I lay in bed for a moment, thinking that I didn't really have to go in if I didn't want to, but I got up and started getting ready.  When I opened the door to let the dogs out, and saw that it was raining, I thought to myself, "This would be a perfect day to sit in front of the fire, knitting and watching Christmas movies."  I was sorely tempted to go back to bed.  Then I reminded myself, 12 hours at time and a half.  Yeah, that's a mighty expensive nap I'd be taking, so I went on in to work.   One of my millennial coworkers rolled her eyes at me, and said, "You old people love your overtime."  I said, "Yeah, because we are adults with adult bills to pay!" 

I was glad I'd gone ahead and done my shopping Thursday, because it was still raining when I got off.  My tooth was still pretty sore, so I went to bed early last night.  And it was still raining. 

I'd planned on sleeping in this morning, but Rylea insisted I get up at 5:30.  On second thought, when you're used to getting up at 3:00, that is sleeping in.  When I opened the door to let her out, it was raining. 

Still.  Raining.

It rained all day long.  And I do mean All.  Day.  Long.  It was a great day to sit in front of the fire, knit, and watch Christmas movies.  That's exactly what I did.  Other than a couple of loads of laundry, and putting the final touch on the decorating. 


I'd had to wait on that, because I was out of those Command hangers.  You know, the kind that don't damage your walls.  I used finishing nails on the kitchen side of that door, but didn't want to on the side I'd just painted and all. 

Kindly ignore Jesse's backside.  He was eating his supper.  He likes to stand right in that doorway to eat.  Also, kindly ignore my messy kitchen.  For the life of me, I can't understand why people wouldn't want doors on their kitchen cabinets.  I know it's kind of the rage, but I like my clutter hidden out of sight. 

But I digress...

Back to my rainy Saturday.  I started knitting another charity hat, and got through the ribbing.


Then something happened.  Something very exciting.  You might even say, thrilling.

My friend Kristine  -- the one who makes the candles and does the blessing bags -- is at a con this weekend, selling her candles.  That's not the exciting part.  She has a new candle called The Hero Of Canton.  It'll be up in her Etsy shop Monday.  That's not the exciting part, either.  Well, it's semi -exciting, but not the something exciting I was talking about. 

The something exciting I was talking about is Adam Baldwin is at the con, and she met him!!!!!!  Yes, she has a picture, so it did happen.  I've asked her if I can share it, but haven't heard back yet.  When I do, you'll get to see... and I'll tell the whole story then.

Her excitement, and my subsequent giddiness for her, inspired me to dig out a barely started Jayne hat and work on it some more.


Only a couple more rounds and I'll be through with the body.  Then I'll just have to do the ear flaps and the pompoms. 

Speaking of pompoms, I'd been watching some YouTube videos on how to make nice ones.  This one video I watched, she wrapped her yarn around two toilet tissue rolls. When she ties it off, she brings the yarn up between the rolls.  I tried that for my last pompom.  It worked pretty well, but I squished my tissue rolls.  I was trying to think of some way I would wind my yarn...

I'd always wrapped it around a piece of cardboard before.  The problem with that method is you have to pull the yarn off the cardboard to tie it.   I wanted to figure out some way I could wrap it so I could tie it off  before taking it off whatever I wrapped it around.  Something like two pegs in a board or something similar.

Then I got an idea.  A wonderful idea!

I got a wonderful, marvelous idea!

I could use my inkle loom!! 


It has so many pegs, I can make all different sizes of pompoms on it!  I haven't tried it yet, but I will be sure to do a complete report when I do. 

Along with that picture of Kristine and Adam Baldwin. 

Which I promise is real. 

No comments: