Thursday, December 27, 2018

Boxing Day

The day after Christmas, December 26, is known as Boxing Day.  This is the day when everybody boxes up the presents they didn't want and takes them back to the store.

Ah, don't get your knickers in a twist.  I know what Boxing Day really is.

I didn't have any presents I didn't want, but I did have one that arrived damaged.  I boxed it up, printed out the return label and headed into town.  Alas, there is no UPS store in town, only drop boxes.  I tried and tried to squish that package into the local drop box, but it just wouldn't fit.

There was nothing else to do, but to drive all the way up to Batesville to the UPS store up there.   After dropping off my box, I said to myself, "Self, might as well go to Wal-mart and check out the clearance sales while you're up here."

And that's exactly what I did. 

I was looking primarily for lights and cards.  I'd checked out our Wal-mart while I was in town, but most of their stuff had already been picked over pretty well.  I did pick up three sets of LED lights for my tree.


Oh, I take it back.  They had lots of lights, just not lots of LED lights.  Since I'm moving away from incandescents, I wasn't really interested in those.

I also grabbed this box by accident.


It's white icicle lights, which I don't really use, but I've been trying to think of something I can do with them.  I may just give them away in the freebees group next year.  Oh, I could probably return them, but it would cost more in gas to drive up there than I paid for the lights to begin with, so no...

One thing they didn't have was cards.  I thought that was so weird, because usually they have boxes and boxes of cards left.

I made a few other purchases -- dog food, milk, and the like -- then ran back by the house for a quick lunch before going to Batesville.

I dropped my package safely off at the UPS store, then drove to the Walmart up there.  They didn't have much left, either, but I did find four boxes of these lights.


I was thinking I'd string them on the outside of my house, because they have the bigger bulbs.  Each string is 14 ft long, so I figure four ought to be enough.

They didn't have any of the smaller LED lights at all. They did have two, yes two, count 'em two boxes of Christmas cards left.  I got one of them, but I'm not going to show them to you, because many of you will receive one next year.

I wandered around a bit to see if they had any more Christmas stuff, and got a head start on next year's gifts.


I think either my brother or my son would appreciate those.   Lastly, I picked up these for myself.


I'd had a pair of heavyweight fleece leggings once, and hated them.  They were uncomfortable and didn't fit right.  Not only that, but I bought them to sleep in, and the fleece stuck to my flannel sheets, making rolling over difficult to the point I counted it as exercise.  These, however, definitely fit better.   I'll let you know know if they cling to my sheets or not. Once it gets cold enough to need them at night.  Should be this weekend. 

Oh, and I also have some knitting to show you.  I finished this hat Christmas Eve during Cody's and my movie marathon -- if you can call two movies and half of a cartoon a marathon.


This is the same yarn as what I knit the last hat out of, but this time it pooled in a weird way.  I like it, though.  It's going into a blessing bag -- as with most of the hats I knit -- and I'm sure a homeless person could care less about pooling.

I never understood why it was such a big deal, anyway.

No sooner was that hat off the needles when a new hat was cast onto the needles.


This yarn is some my friend Peggy sent me when she was destashing.  It's Red Heart in the Woodsy colorway.

As if I didn't already have enough yarn to last two lifetimes, while I was up in Batesville, I got this.


Because 'Murica.

That's why.



No comments: