Monday, November 19, 2018

Tiredness And Toothaches

At my last checkup, my dentist told me I'd soon need a root canal and a crown.  It's a molar that has been filled and re-filled at least three times, but the cavity keeps getting deeper and deeper.   I'd been trying to hold off until after the first of the year when my insurance starts over.  If I hadn't broken that other tooth, and had to pay for an extraction and getting my partial re-built, it wouldn't have been a problem.  As it is...it's a problem.   I was telling a friend, I haven't even gotten the last dental work paid off, and now I'm going to need more.  I'm almost to the point of getting all my teeth pulled and just getting dentures. 

Almost, but not quite.  Anyway, back to my toothache...

All last week, I'd felt it twinging.  It wasn't too bad, though.  Mostly just sensitivity to cold drinks. Along about Thursday evening, it really started hurting.  Or I thought it did.  Turns out it wasn't that tooth that was hurting.  It was the tooth next to it.  You know, one of the ones I'd just had crowned last year.  As if all that weren't enough, wouldn't you know it, my dentist is closed on Fridays.

By Friday afternoon, I seriously considered going to the emergency room.  Yes, it hurt that badly, but I wasn't about to pay an ER bill just for a toothache, so I ruled that out pretty quickly.  Through copious amounts of salt water swishes, and some Orajel mouthwash, I made it through the weekend, but you can bet your sweet bippy at 9:02 this morning, I was on the phone with the aforementioned dentist.

Unfortunately, the only opening he had this week would have required me to leave work early, and I just can't afford to miss any time unless I absolutely have to.  He prescribed an antibiotic to hold me until I can go in next week.  That works out pretty well, since he'd need to put me on antibiotics for a week or so before he could do any work on the tooth anyway.

Needless to say, I've been pretty miserable all day.  Add to that, work was rough.  Really rough.

They're always complaining that the sub-brazers spend too much time standing around not brazing.  Well, honeybunchesofoats, we can't braze if we don't have any parts to braze.  Every single morning, we go in and the shift we're not allowed to hold accountable for anything hasn't left anything ready for us to start on.  In the plant vernacular, we would say they'd left the line dry.  Day after day after day...ad infinitum. 

When that happens, we have to wait for our shift to get something down the line so we can start working.  Usually, it's an hour or two before we get parts.  This morning, I waited 3 1/2 hours. 

Three.  And a half...HOURS

That's nearly half a shift waiting for parts to braze.  Oh, I found stuff to do.  I helped out up the line.  I did smaller orders for other lines, but still...

By the time they brought the parts I needed, the assembly line was down waiting on me, so I had to rush to get the work out.  When I was done with that order, I went to set up on the next one -- only the parts weren't ready.  By the time they brought the parts, the assembly line was down waiting on me, so I had to rush to get the work out.  Rinse and repeat until time to go.   My coworker said, "We're all going to be worn out when this day is over!"

After work, I had to run into town to pick up my prescription.  I was so tired, and in so much pain, for a moment, I thought about pulling off the highway and taking a nap on the side of the road, but I didn't.  I carried on and got my medicine.  When I finally made it back home, I was so tired, I didn't even feel like fooling with starting a fire.  I copped out and turned on the central heat.

The only bright spot in this otherwise exhausting day was getting a new old book in the mail.


Used book stores are going to be the death of me yet.  Or of my bank account, at least.  This was one of my favorite childhood books.  I was so glad to find a halfway decent copy for a reasonable price. 

And lastly, while wallowing in the throes of dental pain, I still managed to finish another charity hat. 


The yarn is Red Heart Team Spirit in Navy blue and gold.  I was tempted to keep this one, being Navy colors and all, but no...it's going into the charity box.  I've got plenty of hats already, and someone out there needs this more than I do. 

Besides, I have enough yarn left to make another one.

Which I might just keep for myself.





No comments: