Tuesday, November 13, 2018

Books And Hats

Monday morning, that would be yesterday -- it's been a long week already -- I took the book I'd bought for my coworker's grandbaby to work and gave it to her.  This morning, I asked her if he liked it.

"Oooh, girl!" she said.

She read it to him twice, then put it up on top of the dresser to get ready for bed.  He stacked some boxes up to where he could reach it, got it down, and asked her to read it again.  Better yet, she said he was trying to read it with her.  She said he'd point to a word and look at her to tell him what it was.  She said he wanted to take the book to preschool with him, but she wouldn't let him, and he cried.  She told him, "It'll be here when you get back home!"  Best of all, she said she was going to get him more books.  "I didn't think he'd like books, but he loves them!" 

As a book worm myself, that makes me positively giddy.  The best thing you can do for your child is to read to him.  Reading, and being read to, develops the brain in way sitting in front of a screen never could.  That's a big part of what is wrong with young people today.  Too many screens and not enough real life.

But that's another story for another post.

Right now, let's talk weather.  Specifically cold weather.  It's here.  And it isn't supposed to get out of the 40s until Friday.  Perfect for snuggling under blankets and knitting beside the fire while watching cheesy Hallmark Christmas movies.  What have I knit?  I finished a hat.


This one is plain vanilla beanie knit in Cascade 220 Superwash.  I used an 88 stitch cast on because this yarn is so thin.  It's labeled worsted weight, but knits up more like DK.  Thus, the larger cast on.

Then I cast on another one.


This one is some bulky weight my mother in law sent me when she destashed.  It's Lion Brand Hometown U.S.A, in the colorway Cincinnati Red.  I like knitting bulky weight, especially for charity knits.  It works up so fast.  And I used the twisted German cast on.  It's not as stretchy as the knit on cast on, but gives a much neater edge. 

Speaking of fires, I have yet to turn on my heater, but that may change this week.  It was 62' in the house when I got home this evening.  I quickly built a fire, and it has warmed up to a much more comfortable 70' .  When I get up in the mornings, however, building a fire wouldn't do me any good, as it wouldn't warm the house up before I left for work.  I want to try to limit my central heat use as much as I can.  These $88 electric bills are nice. 

One thing that is not nice is I've already gotten my chair dirty from the wood box, despite my trying to be so careful. 


I looked at Wal-mart last week for a slip cover, but didn't find one I liked, and they were pretty expensive to boot.  Naturally, I did what any red blooded American would do.  I went to the free market and ordered one online.


Yes, that is a love seat in the picture, but it is sized for a chair.  No, I haven't put it onto the chair yet.  I will, I will.

But not tonight.  Tonight, I'm going to bed. 

No comments: