Friday, November 16, 2018

First Bloom

Got my first bloom of the year on my Christmas Cactus. 


This is the one I grew from a cutting I took from James' cactus. 


OK, OK, I was plant sitting for a few weeks while they were in the process of moving back to Texas, and I broke a piece off.  But not on purpose.  I was just being my normal clumsy self.  That's where most of my cuttings come from.  None of my others have this many buds, so this one might be the star this year. 

I finally broke down and bought some of those sonic mole repellers.


I was hesitant at first, because I was afraid they'd bother the dogs.  However, this afternoon, I looked out my back window, and Rylea was napping right beside one, so I guess they're not too disturbed by them.  The birds and deer don't seem to mind them either, and the next door neighbor's kitty came up for scritches while I was putting one out.  The best part is, they seem to work.  I haven't noticed any new holes since I got them.  I usually go out and stomp the tunnels down and fill in the holes, but by the next day, they're back. 

Each one covers approximately 775-800 square yards, so if I space them right, I can cover all the neighbors' yards as well. 

My big project for the weekend was to put my slip cover onto my chair, which I did. 


It's a really nice cover for the price, and fits the chair well -- much better than the ones I have for the couch and love seat.  It's got spandex in the fabric, and that makes it stretchy, which is how it fits so well. I like that it has a separate cover for the cushion, too. It doesn't quite match the pillows, but those are supposed to go on the couch, anyway.    I don't know why I have them in the chair, but there they are. 

Before I put you out of your misery and end this boring post, I finished another hat. 


This one I knit in bulky weight.  Even though I only cast on 64 stitches, it ended up being gargantuan.  I hope one of those homeless people has a huge head.  Or a lot of hair.  Or just likes them really loose.

One last thing, then I'll let you go.  At this point, I don't think Cody is going to be able to come for Thanksgiving.  I wasn't going to cook a big meal, but I changed my mind and bought everything I need for my traditional dishes.  I just couldn't see it being Thanksgiving without my Aunt Martha's strawberry jello salad. 

I may not cook the turkey, though.  I'll just run by Wal-Mart after I get off work Wednesday and pick up a rotisserie chicken and save the turkey for Christmas.  Cody says he's going to try his best to come for Christmas -- since it is the only day in the year Wal-Mart is closed. 

Well, dang.  Here I thought it was bedtime, and it's only 7:00.  I can bore you a whole lot more! 

But I won't.  I will just note that yesterday was my blogiversary.  I've been boring my readers for 13 years now!  Thank you for sticking with me. 

Here's to 13 more!

 





No comments: