Thursday, November 01, 2018

November Day

The expected severe weather passed through last night, and turned out to be not as severe as expected.  Either that, or I was much more tired than expected and slept right through it.  That has been known to happen.  It has been chilly and rainy all day, but not too cold.  That is supposed to arrive sometime tonight.

In anticipation of said expected cold, I went ahead and filled up the wood box.


As soon as I had finished, my friend texted and said sub-brazers are working tomorrow.   My first thought was, "I'm not going!"  I don't have to, since I have vacation today.  Then I remembered how broke I am, and how deeply in debt I still am, and I've still got to pay for my dental work, and I've got car insurance due at the end of the month, so I decided to go in after all.  I went into the bedroom and turned my alarm on, took a shower, and went to bed. 

And realized it was only 3:30, so I got back up. 

Oh, well.  I get some overtime, and the wood box will already be full for Saturday morning, which is supposed to be even colder than tomorrow. There is an old weather folklore that says if the deer turn gray in October, it's going to be a harsh winter.  Mine have been gray for about two weeks now.  Between the deer and the spiders, I'm glad I've got a lot of firewood.  And blankets.

BTW, I do need to get a slipcover for that chair, so it won't get dirty if any wood falls out of the box and lands on it. 

In other news, Cody took his clothes, his shotgun, and his snake, and left back out to go to his new apartment.  It's weird.  Even though I didn't see the snake a whole lot, the house feels kind of empty without him. 

The good news is, Cody says he's not even through with his 90 day probationary period and they're already talking about recommending him to be the manager of the frozen foods section, provided the old manager takes the new job he's considering.  It's purely speculation at this point, but if he could get that job, he could quit Home Depot and only work one job.  So, yay for that.

The bad news is, he doesn't think he'll be able to come home for Thanksgiving, but does want to come home for Christmas.  He'll just have to see what his schedule is.  He mused, "Now, I understand why you want to move back to Texas so badly.  I can see myself moving back here eventually." 

Yep, it's where he grew up.  To him, this is home. 

Remember the hat I was knitting from the ball of mystery yarn I found?  I finished it a few days ago.


I was playing a serious game of yarn chicken with this one, and actually left out a row of decreases at the end, but it worked out.  By the time I was done, I had about three inches of yarn left over.  Yes, you read that right.  Three inches.  I was really sweating that outcome, and even thought about making it a ponytail hat, but I made it.  Barely, but I made it.

This afternoon, I cast on a new hat.


This is just a basic beanie pattern, and the yarn is Cascade 220.  It's supposed to be worsted weight, but it's very thin, almost a DK weight.  I used an 88 stitch cast on because of how thin the yarn is.  I've already knit one hat out of this ball of yarn, so I guess I'm starting another game of chicken.  I'll let you know how that goes.

Speaking of my deer, one of the fawns is a little buck.  I spotted his nubbins this evening.  The other one appears to be a doe.  I didn't get as good a look at her, but I didn't see any nubbins. 

The bad news is, antlerless primitive weapons hunting season starts Monday.  Hopefully, mine are close enough to a residential area that nobody will hunt my deer. 

Except that 2 year old spike.  He does need to be culled.   






No comments: