Saturday, November 03, 2018

Busy Saturday

It's November now.  I reckon that means it's time to take my Halloween decorations down.  We're not big on Halloween here, so these were the only three things I'd put out to begin with.


That little pumpkin on the right used to have an air plant in it, but it died.  The luminaria Jack O' Lantern I've had so long, I don't even remember where I got it, and the mug in the middle was given to me by a coworker several years ago.  That's about it.  Since Cody is grown and gone, I don't even put out my fake light up Jack O' Lantern any more.  Well, I do, but I put the plain side out so it's a general Fall decoration. 

We are all ready for Thanksgiving now.  The plant usually gives us a Turkey, and I'm thinking, if Cody isn't coming home, I'll just put it into the freezer for Christmas.  I may just do gumbo or ribs in the Instant Pot for Thanksgiving.  I'll still make a pumpkin or a squash pie.  Maybe Cody can come home around Thanksgiving time, if not on Thanksgiving day itself.  Planning is half the fun, and I hate not knowing what to plan for. 

Speaking of my freezer, I got my plants all safely tucked into their winter home.


What has that got to do with my freezer?  That's where I had all my Christmas cacti -- on top of my deep freeze.  It's supposed to get really cold -- well, for the South -- next weekend, maybe even freeze, so this seemed like a good time to get them moved inside.

Next up, my project for the day.  When whoever installed this bathtub installed this bathtub, they didn't to a very good job.  The drain actually sits about 1/8" above the bottom of the tub.  Over the years, water has collected in that gap, and caused the tub to start rusting.  I put some silicone down to try to keep the water from pooling, but I didn't think it was providing much protection.  It seemed to me the water was getting under the silicone, because it wasn't stuck to the tub very well.  I guess because of the rust.  I needed to do something better.   

This morning, I got the old trusty wire brush out and scrubbed all the silicone and loose rust off.


For what it's worth, I may not be the best housekeeper in the world, but my tub isn't normally that dirty.  It's from scrubbing the rust.  Except for that hair in the drain.  It's always there.  What can I say?  It's like it grows right out of my head or something.

Also note, there are quite a few bristles missing from that brush.  I wore two of those down like that, scrubbing fireplace bricks.  So glad to be done with that. 

Anyway, as soon as it was clean and dry, I painted it with a bit of Rustoleum oil based enamel paint.


I'm going to put a second coat on tomorrow, once this one is fully dry.  The can said to wait about 24 hours to re-coat.  Since this is my only bathtub/shower, I'll shower in the AM -- after the 24 hour drying period -- then put the second coat on.  That'll also let me see how this paint will hold up.  It's supposed to be waterproof.  We shall see. 

This is only a stop-gap until I can get the tub either re-finished or replaced. I really want to get all my bathroom fixtures replaced eventually, including the plumbing.  But that will be a long time coming...

I finally broke down and ordered some mounting things for my mantle.  I put it off for a long time, because I didn't really know what I'd be getting before I ordered.  I'd have much rather have seen these in person before buying them, but nobody local had anything like I wanted. 

They arrived this morning, and I find myself just a bit daunted by the prospect. 


What I'm having trouble with is drilling those big holes in my mantle.  The rest is easy.  Those posts are 6" long, so I have to drill a perfectly straight hole at least that long.  I'm going to have to buy a drill bit...and one that size won't even fit my little drill.  So, that means I buy a new drill...I may have to ask for help with this one, folks. 

Maybe I'll get my shutters painted, then hire someone to install both the mantle and shutters at the same time. That'll work.

On the bright side, a free level came with the mounting brackets.


Today is one of those days I can't seem to decide whether I'm hot or cold.  Kind of like the day itself.  It started off in the 30s, and ended up in the low 70s.  I keep opening the windows, then closing them, then putting on long sleeves, then taking them off...ad infinitum. 

However, it did stay cold enough long enough to put me in the mood to play with my new wax stamps, which also arrived today.


This one has Christmas designs.  Six of them.


If you can't see the picture, there is a Santa, a deer, a Merry Christmas, a tree, a snowman, and bells.  I spent a couple of happy hours signing and sealing Christmas cards while watching cheesy Christmas movies on Hallmark Channel.


I had fun trying different things, like marbling the wax.  I'm telling you one thing, though.  When it comes time for me to buy new wax, I'm definitely getting the beads instead of the sticks.  Trying to cut that stuff is hard!  I've also got the kind you light a wick, but I don't like those.  It takes so long to get enough wax melted that way, the first bit you've dripped onto your paper has already cooled.  Plus, the fire keeps going out, and ash from the wick sometimes drips into your pool...I just don't like that kind.   BTW, if you got a card last year, you're getting one this year, too.  If you didn't, and want one, make sure I have your address, and I'll add you to the list.

Lastly, I gave Cody what I thought was my last Jayne hat.  Turns out it wasn't, as I found another one in the closet.  But you can't have too many Jayne hats, so I cast on a new one.



The pattern I use calls for a Twisted German Cast On.  It took me three tries to get it right, then four rounds in, I decided it wasn't stretchy enough.  I ripped it all out and started over with a knitted cast on this time.

Now, if I could only figure out how to make a decent pom pom, I'd be all set. 

P.S.  I know how to do it, but mine never turn out right. 






No comments: