Friday, November 23, 2018

My Thanksgiving

I'm sure you will all be thrilled to know that my toothache feels much better now.  It's still tender -- like a bad bruise -- but at least I'm past the I Want To Cut My Face Off To Stop The Hurting stage.  I was able to eat my Thanksgiving dinner yesterday, though I ended up pretty sore by the time I was done.

Speaking of Thanksgiving, I got a little surprise Wednesday evening.  Cody messaged me -- after 4:00 PM -- that he would be able to come after all.  Um, OK.  I hadn't even gone and picked up my turkey!  I'd planned on thawing some of the chicken thighs I'd grilled last summer and vacuum sealed for later, so I just pulled a second package out to thaw.  He had to work until 1:00, and drove down afterwards.  We had a good visit, and a nice dinner.

Rylea wasn't too thrilled about having to lay in the floor,


but Cody eventually convinced her she could lay on the love seat with him.  Still, she was glad when he left.  I was hoping he'd spend the night and help me with my Christmas tree this morning, but he said he had stuff he needed to do before work this morning, so he left after dinner.

Since I hadn't really planned on company, I didn't fix a big dinner, but I did have my traditional dishes that it just isn't Thanksgiving without -- sweet potato casserole, strawberry jello salad, Stove Top stuffing, and pumpkin pie.  I usually top my sweet potatoes with nuts, but this year because of my toothache, I used marshmallows.  Oh, I've had it with marshmallows before, but it's been a long time.  I'd forgotten how good they are that way.  I may do it more often.

Remember that pie pumpkin I bought and stewed down last year?  I used that to make my pie instead of canned pumpkin.  I also made a squash pie with some of the pattypan I bought at the Farmer's Market last summer.

Everything was delicious -- even the reheated chicken -- and we were both full as ticks by the time we were done.  Then I got up and had pie for breakfast this morning.

Yep, it's the most wonderful time of the year.

The plan was to get up this morning, and start getting the house all decked out for Christmas, but you know what they say about the best laid plans.  I just sat and relaxed, catching up on some of my DVRed shows,  and mentally debating whether I was ready to take my Thanksgiving stuff down yet.

Along about 3:00 PM, I looked out my front window and saw my across the street neighbors out putting all their stuff up, so I went out and dragged all the Christmas stuff into the house.  Just in time, too, because it came a gully washer right about the time I got the last box inside. 


I got it all inside, but haven't started putting any of it out yet. The only thing I did was to get out my strings of lights to make sure they still worked.  I had two that only half the string lit up, but all the others came on.  I'm wanting to make the transition from incandescent to LED lights, so I might give most of them away in the local free-bees group, after I get my tree and outside lights up and see what I have to spare.  I'll buy new ones on clearance after Christmas.  On the other hand, if I save up and buy one of those high dollar Balsam Hill pre-lit trees I've been wanting, I won't need new lights next year anyway. 

In knitting news, my friend -- the ones who makes the blessing bags for the homeless in her area -- has designed a new hat.  She put out the call for test knitters, and naturally, I was all over that.  Some people have finished theirs already, but this is as far as I've gotten.


The pattern calls for chunky weight yarn.  I went stash diving and found some unlabeled mystery yarn that I thought might work.  Turns out it was too bulky.  I ripped that, and put the unknown yarn back into the stash to marinate some more, and pulled out a worsted weight.  It is going much better, and easier on my hands at least.  The pattern as written will make a child size hat, but it can easily be resized by adding more stitches to the cast on. 

I didn't want to do any adaptions this time, because I'm testing her pattern out to make sure it's easily followed and mistake free.  She says once it's finalized, she'll release it for a small donation to her blessing bag cause. 

I'll be sure to post the pattern for you. 

Well, for those of you who knit, that is. 

I'm sure the rest of you won't really care.







No comments: