Friday, November 02, 2018

Scrambling Eggs

I'm not sure what I ate yesterday that disagreed with me, but something sure did.  When the alarm went off way too early this morning after half a night running to the bathroom, I seriously considered staying in bed.  I mean, I didn't have to go in, because of my vacation day yesterday.  But I remembered how broke I am, so I got up and went to work. 

Just a couple of hours in, I was wondering what I was thinking -- then I thought again about how broke I was, and remembered what I was thinking.  It was only an 8 hour shift, but it seemed as long as a 12 hour shift.

Be that as it may, I made it through the day, and still have a whole weekend to look forward to, including four brand new cheesy Hallmark Christmas movies.  I'm going to have to figure out my DVR, and see if I can record two at the same time, because LSU plays Alabama also play at that time. 

Or, I'm sure one of the movies will be re-run, if not both. 

But that's not really what I wanted to talk to you about tonight.  See, yesterday morning before he left, Cody was looking for something for breakfast.  I was telling him what quick and easy things he could fix -- cereal, oatmeal, and the like.  The last thing I mentioned was, "Or you could scramble some eggs in the microwave."  He looked at me quizzically, and said, "You can scramble eggs in the microwave?" 

Yep.  I gave him a quick lesson, and he fixed himself some breakfast.  While he was eating, I posted the following on my Facebook feed:


I was surprised at how many people commented that they also did not know you could scramble eggs in the microwave.  In the spirit of the season, I will now present to you a quick egg scrambling lesson.

First off, crack two eggs into a microwave safe bowl.  You might be able to do larger quantities, but I've never tried it.  These instructions are for two.  Adjust your times accordingly.

OK, back to my lesson.

Crack two eggs into a microwave safe bowl.  Add milk, or cheese, salt and pepper, or whatever you usually add when scrambling them in a skillet, and whisk them until they are well blended.  The prep part is exactly the same as cooking them on a stove top.

Put the bowl into the microwave and cook for 30 seconds.  Gently stir the eggs, then cook for 15 seconds.  Stir, and cook for 5 more seconds.  Repeat until eggs are close to being done.  When the eggs start looking close to being done, reduce cooking time to 10 seconds between stirring.  You will want to take them out of the microwave before they are completely dry, the same as if you were cooking them in a skillet. 

Let them set a minute before eating.

There you have it.  You now know how to cook eggs in a microwave. 

Bon apetit!

No comments: