Tuesday, November 06, 2018

I Voted



I voted.  And you know, if you don't vote, you have no right to complain...except...

I've been good, y'all.  It hasn't been easy, but I've been good.

See, last month the city had a special election to levy a new tourism tax to they can raise revenue to build a new sports complex.  I even blogged about it.  Someone commented on the very low voter turnout for that special election.  I remarked that turnout might have been higher if they'd put it onto the general election ballot, but I strongly suspect that there is a good reason they didn't want to do that.  It might have had a completely different result.  Now everyone is saying if you didn't vote, you can't complain.

The thing about it is, this sports complex is going to be built right on the city limits.  A lot of people who live nearby, but aren't inside city limits will be affected by it.   I'm one of them.  I'm not in the city.  I'm in the county, so I couldn't even vote in that election, even though this monstrosity is going to be built a just over a mile from my house. 



As the crow flies.  It's a little longer if you go by the roads, but it's still very close. 


I was very vocal in my opposition to the new tax, but in the end, the levy passed.  Since then, I've kept my mouth shut, or rather, my keyboard quiet about it.

When someone posted about the brown water coming out of her tap, I wanted to say, "But hey!  You're getting a new sports complex!"  But I didn't.

And when someone else complained about the potholes on her road, I wanted to say, "But look on the bright side.  You're getting another sports complex!"  But I didn't.

When someone complained about the taxpayer funded wheelchair access van being broken down for months, and she couldn't get her father to his doctor appointments, I wanted to say, "But you're getting a new sports complex!"  But I didn't.


When they complain about lack of good jobs, or how bad the hospital is, or our below average school systems...I don't say anything. 

Because you know, if you don't vote, you can't complain. 

No comments: