Sunday, June 10, 2018

What A Way To Wake Up

There I was in my kitchen, having a bit of an existential crisis.

I struggle with this every Sunday.  See, Sunday is supposed to be a day of rest, but there is always so much work that needs to be done.  Mowing, cleaning the house, laundry, etc, etc.

I try to rest, but there is always that nagging voice in the back of my mind.  "You need to finish the mowing.  You need to clean the bathroom.  You still haven't even hung your map in the bedroom.  And what about all those pictures you were going to hang in the hall?  Are you ever going to get that done?  You know, Sue's picture is still on top of the bookshelf, and all those things Cyndye sent you still aren't hung..."  And on and on it goes.

Which brings us to my existential crisis.  In my kitchen.  I was trying to dig all the hair out of my Swiffer Sweeper so I could start using it again, telling myself I need to sit down and relax, but I've got so much to do, listening to my neighbor mowing his yard.  The sound of his mower seemed to mock me, reminding me I still need to mow behind the fence.

Suddenly, I heard a sharp crack.  I turned around, thinking my blinds had somehow fallen off the door.  It wasn't my blinds.

Did you know that shattered glass sounds an awful lot like running water?

Seems the neighbor's lawn mower had kicked up -- guess what? -- a rock and hit my storm door.  He came over and cleaned all the broken glass up, and said he'd replace it.  I didn't ask him to, but he said he would anyway.  I thanked him for wanting to make things right.  We were both just glad it didn't hit my car -- although he said he could fix that, since he is an auto mechanic.

While we were out there cleaning up the glass, he turned to me and said, "What a way to wake up."

Later, the neighbor's wife came by and said the guy would come in the morning to fix the glass.  I thanked her again, and remarked that I couldn't believe the rock flew that far.  He was in his own yard, after all!

After that, I pretty much took it as a sign that I was not supposed to mow today.  So, I came inside, cleaned up the kitchen and binge watched ER.  I'm up to season 8.  BTW, I found Kung Fu on Prime.  That'll be my next series to binge.

So, yesterday, my friend Cyndye commented that I'm on a moss rose kick lately.


 She's right.  I'd had some last year, but they kind of got overwhelmed by the larger flowers in my main bed.  They are doing so much better in a bed by themselves.  I feel like I'm finally getting to really appreciate them for the gorgeous flowers that they are.  I mean,


what's



not


to


love?











No comments: