Tuesday, June 05, 2018

A Few More Weeks

Every morning at 2:55 AM when my alarm goes off, I think to myself, "Self, I'm getting mighty tired of getting up this early.  I think I'm going to stop going in so early."  Then I think about those nice paychecks, and say to myself, "Maybe just a few more weeks..."

This morning, I was so discombobulated, I got halfway to work and realized I'd forgotten to brush my teeth and put on lipstick.  I seriously -- briefly -- considered just throwing in the towel and going back home, but no, that didn't happen.  I didn't want to lose a day's pay, plus an attendance bonus just over some missing lipstick and bad breath.  Besides, once I'd eaten my breakfast, it wouldn't matter much anyway.

The reason I was especially tired today is because I didn't sleep much last night.  The reason I didn't sleep much is because I was too excited.  Why am I excited?  I'm going to a fiber festival!  Not just the the little Fiber to Fabric thing they used to have in Hernando, but a real, honest to goodness fiber festival with classes and vendors and knitters from all over! It's called Fiber Fun In The 'Sip, and I'm going!!  It's not until Fall, but I signed up for my classes yesterday.  I'm taking a Continental Knitting class and an Inkle Weaving class.  The inkle class is kind of expensive, but you get your own loom to keep.  I know already one of my friends is going, and we were up half the night messaging about classes and hotels and stuff.  As a result, I'm a bit tuckered.  But in a good way. 

Even better, I came home to some good news.  Before I can tell you the good news, I have to tell you the not so good news.  Yesterday, I noticed a gopher run right up into my moss rose bed.   One of my roses had been practically uprooted from beneath, and was looking pretty dead-ish.


I tamped the soil back down and watered them well, then watered them again this morning.  By this afternoon, they had perked up considerably.


Hopefully, they'll survive, and the dang gopher will leave them alone.

While I was out there, I took the promised photograph of my Bacopa. 


And proof that I actually did finish mulching the flower bed.


I did that early Sunday morning, then spent the afternoon knitting these two hats. The brown one is for my friend Kristine's blessing bag project. 

 
This one is for the Little Hats, Big Hearts program.


On the way home from work, I stopped and voted.  One of the election volunteers greeted me.  I thought she was just being friendly, but then she asked me, "Y'all still working hard out there?" 

"Oh, yeah, it never slows down,"  I replied without missing a beat. 

Sounds like a perfectly normal conversation, doesn't it?  The only problem is, I have no idea who that woman was.  Funny thing is, I never considered myself a memorable person, so it always takes me by surprise when people do remember me. 

I only wish I could remember them. 









No comments: