Friday, June 29, 2018

Rough Day

Today was rough, I tell ya.  Really rough.

I don't remember if I mentioned it or not, but about 2 months ago, they moved all the sub brazers off the assembly lines and back into our own little work area.  A couple of us go in early to kind of get organized and get ahead of the lines before the regular shift starts.

One of the first things I do when I get there is to go around to all the assembly lines and pick up the empty bins and bring them back to the sub brazing area.  This gives me a pretty good feel for where the lines stand on having work set up for them.

When I got to work this morning and made my rounds, nobody had any work, and I do mean nobody.  Only one line had any headers at all, and they didn't have many.  The other five were -- to put it into the plant vernacular -- completely dry.  I hurried back to sub brazing so I could get started and get some parts ready for the shifts, only there wasn't anything ready to braze.

That made it rough on us, trying to stay ahead of the lines with nothing ready to braze.  At one point, two supervisors were standing next to my brazing stand talking.  I heard one of them say that the other shift had only cut x parts last night -- where x = the number of parts the other shift cut last night.   I could tell you what that number was, but without context, it wouldn't mean anything to you anyway.

To give you the needed context, I mentioned that number to a friend who works in tubing.  Her mouth fell open in astonishment, and she said she runs almost half of that by herself -- where almost half = a number slightly less than .5x with x being equal to the number of parts the other shift cut last night.

Ha!  35 years after graduating, I have finally used something which may or may not be considered algebra!

OK, moving right along...

To end this post on a positive note, here area couple of pictures of my moss roses. 


They're pretty much the only things in my flower beds that have done anything this year.



No comments: