Monday, February 12, 2018

We Have A Living Room

I got to work bright and early this morning, filled my cooler with ice, and clocked in.  I dropped my stuff at my stand, then headed upstairs to run off copies of the day's schedule.  I got to the office, and there were no schedules -- not in the copier, nor in the folders on the wall.

A quick investigation revealed a fault in the copier.  No problem.  I went to tubing, intending to run off a copy from their computer.  I pulled up the schedule, clicked print, and.....paper jam.  I opened the printer doors and top cover and pulled out the cartridge, and put it all back together, and still...paper jam.  I tried again, and even the person who works in tubing tried.  Still...paper jam.  OK, then...

I went to the tubing dispatcher's desk to ask him to print me out a copy.  By this time, I was humming the theme to the Indiana Jones movies.  Raiders Of The Lost Work Schedule.  That's what it was beginning to feel like.

The dispatcher pulled up the schedule, clicked print, and....his entire system crashed.  It was at this point I began to wonder which cosmic forces didn't want me to work today, and seriously considered going back home and going back to bed.  I didn't.  But I thought about it.

I had to wait until the dispatcher rebooted his system, and he finally got me a copy of my schedule.  I made enough copies for the line in the shipping office, because their stuff always works, and the rest of the day went off without a hitch. Relatively.

Which is more than can be said for the weekend shift.

I got to my assigned area Saturday morning and there were more A and B shift volunteers than regular C shift employees.  Before the day was over, the C shift group leader went around begging us to come in Sunday.  I told her I wasn't going to come in.  She said she was going to call me on my phone, and I told her, "Go ahead and call, I won't answer."  Sunday was the first day off I'd had in two weeks, and by golly, I was going to take it. 

I did sign up to work all three days next weekend.  I'll probably slow down some on the overtime once my bank account recovers enough to take it off life support, but for now, we'll see how it goes.

And just what did I do on my first day off in two weeks?  First thing I did was to sleep in until 6:00 AM.  Trust me, when one is used to getting up at 3:30, sleeping in until 6:00 feels like Heaven.  I leisurely lay in bed until the dogs pestered me to let them out.  After doing that, I made some coffee and leisurely drank it while leisurely eating breakfast, then I leisurely did a few normal chores -- laundry and the like, and leisurely watched a replay of the Falcon Heavy test flight on YouTube.

Oh, yeah, and I painted the trim in my living room.  Leisurely.

Well, I got three walls done at least, before I ran out of painter's tape.


Yes, again.  I knew I should have bought that double roll.  I really didn't have enough to finish wall #3.  Once I got done painting wall #1, I carefully peeled the tape off and reapplied it to wall #3, and we got it done.  I didn't try to peel enough off to do wall #4.  I'll just wait until I buy another roll, whenever I go to the store again.

I wasn't going to paint the inside of this door frame, but now I'm glad I did.


Now that it's done and the tape is pulled off, I like the way it looks.


It looks much better than the window frame, which I did not paint the inside of, since it'll be hidden behind my drapes most of the time.

I'll have a few spots to touch up after I've done the fourth wall,


but, I'm very pleased with the overall effect.


I came home this evening and started pushing some of my big furniture back into place.  Tomorrow, I'll try to get my drapes hung back up, and I'll have a living room again! 




No comments: