Sunday, February 25, 2018

Spring

As my old dad used to say, "Spring is busting out all over."

On the drive home, I noticed the jonquils all along the edges of the roads.  My own daffodils were peeking out of the ground, but no blooms yet.  Then one day, it happened.


The first daffodil of the season!  Followed quickly by the jonquils.  Well, the ones in my flower bed, that is.  Wild ones have been blooming for about a week. 


My roses beginning to leaf out.


I was kind of worried about them, because they lost all their leaves in the cold spell.  Since I've been in this house, they've never gone completely bare like that.  Looks like they're OK after all.  I haven't seen my gardenia leafing out yet, so I'm still wondering how it came through the winter.  We'll see soon enough.  If It dies, I'm not going to try to get another one.  I love them, but I'm not going to keep killing them. 

I was at work, just a working away, I think it was Thursday, when Supervisor walked up and said, "You've got something on your mind, I can tell."  I had to confess, I was already planning my flower beds.  It'll be a while yet before I can safely plant, but I can dream, can't I?   He told me his dad had already started his tomatoes.  He grows them from seed, in two big drum halves.  He rolls them out into the sun every morning, and rolls them back under cover at night. 

Tomatoes are something else I can't seem to grow.  I had that one last year, but it didn't do too well.  I kind of have a feeling the dog was peeing on it, and that didn't help it any.  I think this time around, I'll not volunteer for overtime one Saturday and go to the farmer's market on the square.   

I don't have any luck growing things from seed, but that conversation with Supervisor was still on my mind when I went to the store that evening.  Wandering through the garden center, I picked up these. 


Hope springs eternal...or else I just never learn.  One or the other.  Anyway, I got some wildflower seeds. 

The current plan is to extend the front flower bed the rest of the way across the house, and plant these in the newer section.  I'll probably wait until May to even plant them, so they won't be in danger of a late frost.  I'm not sure what I'm going to plant in the older section of the bed.  I'll probably head up to Lowe's when it comes time, and just wander through and pick what catches my eye.  Of course you'll get to see what I get on the blog. 

I got all my living room furniture moved back into place this morning. 


And Mrs. Matthews' picture hung in its place of honor.


I have no idea what I'm going to do with the rest of the room, so if you have any ideas, I'd love to hear them.

Rylea has her own love seat.  For some reason, she always pushes the cushions off of it.  I put them back on, and she pushes them off again.  Last night, I finally told her enough was enough.  I wasn't picking the dumb cushions up again.  Today, I found her like this. 


I just shook my head and said, "Sometimes, I just don't know about that dog." 

A few weeks ago, I switched Squeaky to Meow Mix simple servings.  It's a bit expensive, but she seems to like it.  Look.  It's got whole shrimp in it.  Whole shrimp! 


Sigh, my cat eats better than I do. 

I'm going to try to get more consistent about blogging.  I'd love to complain about all the hours I'm working, but since I volunteer, I really can't do that.   Still, long hours make for light blogging, but I'm going to try to post more, even if it's just a short paragraph. 

We'll see how that works out. 

No comments: