Wednesday, May 03, 2017

Work By Day

It felt weird going to work with the sun already up.  Everything was visible.  Bright new day.  Clear skies, trees budding with new green life.

I didn't like it.

I felt like something that had escaped from Mommie Fortuna's Midnight Carnival.

Creatures of night, brought to light...

If you don't get that reference, it's from the novel The Last Unicorn, by Peter S. Beagle.  There is a cartoon movie out, too.  Someone had given it to my sister when we were kids.  A few years later, I was in a bookstore in the mall and found the novel.  Remembering how much she loved that movie, I bought the book for her.   I said to myself, "I'm just going to read this really quickly before sending it to her."  So, I did, and promptly went back and bought myself a copy.

I don't know if my sister ever read hers -- she's not much of a reader-- but I read mine so many times I can still quote you the first line.
The unicorn lived in a lilac wood, and she lived all alone.  She was very old, though she did not know it, and was no longer the careless color of sea foam, but rather the color of snow falling on a moonlit night. 

If you haven't read it, I highly recommend this book.  It's not a good read-aloud book, though, because the chapters are really long, and there aren't many good stopping points.  If you're reading to yourself, this won't matter, because you won't want to put it down until you're done.

But I digress...

I woke up this morning at 2:15 and thought, "It's so nice to roll over and go back to sleep instead of being up to be at work by 3:00".  I woke up again at 3:45, had a brief moment of panic in thinking that I'd overslept, then realized I don't have to be at work by 5:00, and rolled over and went back to sleep.  I woke up a third and final time at 5:15 and thought, "Normally, I'd already be at work by now.  Oh, my overtime!  I want my overtime back!"

Alas, no overtime for me.  And apparently only for me...but we won't get into that here.

I got to work, and the morning seemed to go by so fast.  Before I knew it, it was lunch time, and I hadn't even finished my morning coffee.  It's amazing how much faster a four hour morning goes, rather than a six or eight hour morning. Because I got so much sleep last night, I had more energy than I knew what to do with.

All things considered, I'd rather have the overtime.

The Demeter perfume samples I ordered a week and a half ago finally arrived.  


I tried to test each one, but ran out of room in places my nose would reach.  So far, Petrichor is my favorite, though I do like Dirt -- which smells just like dirt when you spray it on, but dries to a kind of musky scent.  Ocean does not smell like the ocean, and Sunshine smells kind of vanilla-y.  Mountain Air smells really good, too.

I'll be bringing you more scent reviews as I try them.  The biggest disappointment was the shipping.  I paid $8 for shipping, and it took 10 days for the package to reach me.  I've had stuff sent from China faster, and for less money.

The good news is, the samples are pretty big, so I won't need to reorder any for quite some time. 

No comments: